problem with dd1

Yes I am using the dd1 it does show that a 40hz signal is present so are you saying if I put sub level at 15 and set gains I will see where it actually clips. The only reason I have doubts is I was told by others to do the exact opposite

Yes, you need to set the gain with the sub level at 15. Most people use Pioneer head units and sadly, most people assume everything works the same way. Pioneer subwoofer outs are boosted above the 0 setting and that's why people assume every other manufacturer boosts the sub output but, they don't.

If you will set the subwoofer gain at 15 with a -5dB track and keep the subwoofer control at 10 you will find that you have adequate bass for most music and that there is still some headroom for music that doesn't have adequate bass response.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

If you're using the internal amp your maximum unclipped level will be ~22. If your subwoofer output clips at volume 19 when it's at level 15, something else is wrong.

I'm using all external amps so a 4 channel and the saz 1200. I haven't tested it so I could be wrong will do it after work today I just know before when I set gains if it clipped at 35 with 0 bass when I set the gains with plus 7 my max clean signal was like 27 I wasn't using a -5db track though I believe it was the -10 db track if that makes a difference

If you're using the internal amp your maximum unclipped level will be ~22. If your subwoofer output clips at volume 19 when it's at level 15, something else is wrong.

Do you have any idea what might be wrong if it does clip at this low level

A -10dB track shouldn't clip as soon as a 0dB track so yeah, it does make a difference. I'll do my best to check the Alpine head unit I have in stock today.

This is what i would do.

with the dd-1 hooked only to the headunit:

play a 1khz 0db tone and check your front rca outputs.

find the max unclipped volume.

play the 40hz 0db tone and check your sub out at the same volume.

adjust the sub out until you show clipping, then back it off till the light goes out.

then hook the amps up, and set the gains on the amps with the appropriate tones with the volume at your maxed unclipped level.

You can use the -5db 1k tone for your mids, but 0db will be safer

you can use the -5db 40hz tone for your subs pretty safely if you are not overpowering your sub.