Sonic Electronix

If the noise is present only with the key on acc,even if you hardwire your audio systems ignition to 12v, then it is a circuit that is ign/acc powered. If it only makes noise while running its gonna be something like your alternator,bad ecu,bad fuel pump etc. Does every single option work properly on your van?

The noise is present even with the key OFF>... if the interior light is on... Its there. If you turn on the headlights, its there as well. If I unhook the entire battery from the vehicle then I'm sure the noise will not be there as the interior lights and headlights will not operate, I thought of trying the fuse by fuse test, but I figure when the interior light fuse is pulled then it will quite. It seems to be something in the lights. These are not LED lights.

OK when you say the noise is present with the key off does the lights have to be on for it to make noise? Also,when your testing for noise with the key off you have to still power up the stereo (red wire to 12v hot) . If you just plug in rca's from a powered amp to a non powered unit then of course its going to have noise. Not sure if that's what you are doing, if not then forgive me.

If you really want to get technical, unhook your battery,unplug the alternator B+ & unplug the internal/external voltage regulator. Make sure these Dont get caught on a belt or ground out on metal. With the alt unhooked, and your battery re-installed try to check for noise again. If it still has noise then you may reassemble whatever you took apart. The next step will be unplugging the ECU but make sure not to unplug an SRS or ABS module. Repeat the steps for anything suspicious. Welcome to troubleshooting 101

If the noise is present only with the key on acc,even if you hardwire your audio systems ignition to 12v, then it is a circuit that is ign/acc powered. If it only makes noise while running its gonna be something like your alternator,bad ecu,bad fuel pump etc. Does every single option work properly on your van?

The noise is present even with the key OFF>... if the interior light is on... Its there. If you turn on the headlights, its there as well. If I unhook the entire battery from the vehicle then I'm sure the noise will not be there as the interior lights and headlights will not operate, I thought of trying the fuse by fuse test, but I figure when the interior light fuse is pulled then it will quite. It seems to be something in the lights. These are not LED lights.

OK when you say the noise is present with the key off does the lights have to be on for it to make noise? Also,when your testing for noise with the key off you have to still power up the stereo (red wire to 12v hot) . If you just plug in rca's from a powered amp to a non powered unit then of course its going to have noise. Not sure if that's what you are doing, if not then forgive me.

If you really want to get technical, unhook your battery,unplug the alternator B+ & unplug the internal/external voltage regulator. Make sure these Dont get caught on a belt or ground out on metal. With the alt unhooked, and your battery re-installed try to check for noise again. If it still has noise then you may reassemble whatever you took apart. The next step will be unplugging the ECU but make sure not to unplug an SRS or ABS module. Repeat the steps for anything suspicious. Welcome to troubleshooting 101

Please watch the video I posted at the startish of the forum post....it shows the problem with more detail. As soon as you ground the rca's in any way.. the buzz is present with any lighting on. In the video they are hooked to the head unit and then I ground the unit. Same thing happens any way you ground the unit

Please watch the video I posted at the startish of the forum post....it shows the problem with more detail. As soon as you ground the rca's in any way.. the buzz is present with any lighting on. In the video they are hooked to the head unit and then I ground the unit. Same thing happens any way you ground the unit
I have watched it a few time's. You can't just ground the stereo like that,keep the harness plugged in. In your video, when you turned the key on and it started making noise,where exactly is the amp remote inputs coming from at that time? Amp rack battery? Or vehicles ign/acc wire? Its hard to tell if the amps just turned on with the noise already present, or if the amps were already on and the ignition caused the noise. Its gotta be a faulty relay or module of some sort causing noise in your vehicle. The fact that you can wire the entire system off the battery, stereo ign&hot and it still gets noise is obviously something wrong with the vehicle. I'd start pulling fuses till it stops. Start with the interior lights. It shouldn't take you longer then a few hours. I Dont see an easier solution.

Ok,,,, the remote for amp and crossover was jumped from main power coming into the amp rack. The video does show that

The noise comes through whether the head unit is wired for power or not, I just showed it like that so everyone would not immediately blame that head unit as I did at first. But when you wire in the head unit incomplete, it does the exact same thing. The noise comes if any of the interior lights are on.... or even the headlights, This is with the key on OR off, (since the remote is straight wired) I had blamed the handicap ramp that was installed due to the TON of wiring involved,,, however even when I unhook the ramp brain module,,, that noise still persists.

but as for pulling fuses till it stops, that was my next step, but I'm sure once I hit the interior light fuse, the noise is going to stop... and that would not tell me much...would it?

Ok,,,, the remote for amp and crossover was jumped from main power coming into the amp rack. The video does show that

The noise comes through whether the head unit is wired for power or not, I just showed it like that so everyone would not immediately blame that head unit as I did at first. But when you wire in the head unit incomplete, it does the exact same thing. The noise comes if any of the interior lights are on.... or even the headlights, This is with the key on OR off, (since the remote is straight wired) I had blamed the handicap ramp that was installed due to the TON of wiring involved,,, however even when I unhook the ramp brain module,,, that noise still persists.

but as for pulling fuses till it stops, that was my next step, but I'm sure once I hit the interior light fuse, the noise is going to stop... and that would not tell me much...would it?

Actually it could tell you a lot. Could be a relay going bad or a relay getting low voltage, if relays get low voltage from a dead battery or loose connection, the switch post inside will buzz back and forth really fast and sounds similar to your speaker buzz. Also the headlight switch module could have a shorted diode or could just be going bad itself. Try to unplug the headlight switch module, BTW if you do it is normal for the headlights and parking lights to activate without the switch because they work by "normally open" relays. hell maybe this van has an old alarm that is causing problems.

Start by disassembling the driver under dash panel. Make sure nobody did a hack job of an alarm. If not then continue to unplug the headlight switch and see if the noise comes back with the switch unplugged. If so, check ALL relays and start swapping them around in the fuse box, unless you have replacement relays on hand.

Archived