Sonic Electronix

Hey, Looking to install a new headunit into the girlfriends 2006 Chevy Colbalt 2dr coupe base model. I'm used to installing in my older car so this one has me a little stumped. When she bought the car the front speakers did not work so the dealership agreed to pay to fix them. When she took the car down to an audio shop for the install she asked about an aftermarket headunit and the guy working said she would have to buy a $250 cord so her info button would still work. I thought this as being weird because usually those cords are for steering wheel controls and the only controls on her wheel are for the cruise. So I had her send me a picture of what the guy was talking about and it was for the info button on the dash, just right of the wheel that cycles through the Odometer, oil life, fuel mileage ect.

Was this guy right in saying that this will no longer work unless she buys the cord or was he just trying to push a bullshit sale on her because she was there alone?

Thanks!

I believe all the cord will do for the HU is give the information of an artists name and album and ect, while listining to the radio. If listining to any other devices such as using an iPod, cd, or aux plug in, it won't have any effect. The cord may be a little unnecessary.

Thanks for the help I dug a little more and found this. So from what I have read she does not need any extra wires other than the standard factory to hu adapter plug.

1.) If I install an aftermarket head unit will I lose my Driver Information Center (DIC) or throw a check engine light (CEL)?

No, removing the factory radio does not affect anything related to the DIC since it is located in the dash not in the radio like the new G6 and Malibu and a properly installed aftermarket HU will not effect the computer.

2.) Now do I have to relocate the factory radio in order to maintain any factory functions. (Do I have to run a harness from the front of the car to the trunk and hide my factory radio?)

No. Even thou the Cobalt uses the new GM-LAN system in the vehicle unlike the previous generation of GM vehicles which used the Class 2 Databus which some of you might be familar with the harnesses now available will still work with the GM-LAN system.

3.) Also, will I lose the factory door chime with the installation of an aftermarket head unit on an 05-06?

No, the factory door chime is still retained since it is not connected to the radio in any way.

4.) What about an 07+?

The 07+ cobalts have the door chimes play thru the speakers stock... So when you remove the stock HU you loose them unless you get a expensive module to replicate the chimes called the GMOS-LAN harness.

Archived