Grounding your amp question.

Joking man, but that 7k is fine without a h.o alt. the amp has a clip indicator and it rarely even blinks and that's on max. My weak electrical is efficient enough for now . I'm trying to sale my truck and if I can't then I'll be dumping my money into it. But until then I'm just gonna jam with what I have.. But I am getting 2 more mayhems for sure . is this Adam?

The fact your amp gets so hot you have to turn it off right after you demo should tell you something right there. Your voltage is dropping low causing your amp to draw more current which makes your amp hot then you factor in clipping and that makes your amp really hot. We are telling you this from experience get better voltage and you will gain from your current setup. Its not like you have to get some custom fab bracket for your vehicle like i do mine you can find tons of people selling them online. Running OFC like you are saying will help but you hit a brick wall when you run all that wire to a stock alt its only gonna put out what it puts out. Just cause you add 2 more runs isnt gonna make your stock alt magically put out 50 more amps.

2007 4.2L Chevy Trailblazer Crossfire Build

6 Crossfire xs v2 15s
3 Crossfire 8ks
4 Crossfire 6.5 Loudspeakers

2 Crossfire ST-1 Super Tweets

1 Pair of Rockford Fosgate T2 5.25 Components

1 Crossfire C5 800.2

1 Crossfire 400.2's
7 XS Power xp3000s

​6 C&D Batteries
3 Singer Alts
6 Runs of 1/0 OFC (Sky High and Welding Wire)
SMD VM-1
SMD OM-1
Pioneer AVH-p4800BS

Build Log
4th Order BL - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/189896-4th-order-crossfire-trailblazer-buildlog/

Flat Wall BL - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/198087-2007-42l-chevy-trailblazer-flat-wall-rebuild-build-log-4-crossfire-xsv2-15s-2-crossfire-8ks-xs-power-batts-singer-alts/

Scores
MECA - 159.2 @ 37hz
USACI - 161.2 @ 47hz
IASCA - 157.9 @ 47hz

Hey Jake, it's Justin. I am glad you signed up on this site. Is a really good place to learn. I will try to be as helpful as possible. It's hard to give you advice on Facebook, but this place is perfect with MANY smart guys that can help you.

I know you THINK that your stock alternator is just fine on that Stesom 7K, but you're mistaken. Do you have a quality voltage meter in your truck to confirm that you're not TRULY doing low on voltage? If you are indeed NOT dropping voltage it's for a couple of reasons.

A) Your wire is limiting how many amps it will allow your amp to draw. A single run of CCA(the one to the rear batt from the front), will only allow roughly 250-300A of current through. That's good for about 3000W in a perfect world. Your rear batts are supplemental and do help a bit. The INSTANT you dip into the 12s though, your stock alt can NEVER charge those batteries back up while you're still banging on music. And they don't recharge terribly quickly either

B ) The other reason you may not be doing voltage terribly bad us because you have gobs of impedance rise from your enclosure. Adam can test with his AMM-1 what you're rising to. So if you're rising to say, 4 ohms, you're only getting what that amp is rated for at 4 ohms. I'm betting with the voltage you're seeing and the rise(if that's the present like I assume it is) you're getting 2500-3000 Watts from that amp.

I hope you stick around and read alot here and learn as much as possible.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Archived