H/o Alt, voltage drops

Hi,

Hoping someone may be able to shed some light to a voltage drop issue I'm having. I'm driving a 2008 honda accord coupe v4. I finished installing my 240amp mechman alternator today. It appears to be working great, however, once in awhile while im driving i will get voltage dips down to 12.8 from 14.4. This happens whether im playing audio or not. Has anyone experience this or may know why this is happening?

Thanks!

P.s my voltage meter is a smd vm-1 plugged into the cigarette lighter.

Front Mids/Tweeters: Focal K2 POWER

Rear Deck Mids: Focal 165ca

Subwoofer: (1) DC Level 5 15"

Highs/Mids Amp: Mosconi Gladen One 120.4

Monoblock: DC 3.5K

Headunit: Kenwood Excelon DNN990HD

Batteries: Optima Yellow Top (hood), Kinetik HC600 (trunk), XS Power D3100 (trunk)

Car: Accord '08 Coupe... terrible trunk shape : ' (

Did you use a smaller belt?

No, I used the same belt I had from before. Fits on fine.

Batteries: Optima Yellow Top (hood), Kinetik HC600 (trunk), XS Power D3100 (trunk)

Is it possible my original belt is slipping?

The new alternator should have a smaller pulley so it spins faster. Aside from that you should add batteries, that holds voltage up. You also want to do the big 3 with good wire.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JeepAndBass

Picture1.png.a51bb49318e5269e42f12284828c2bb6.png

My Jeep: 157.3dB @26hz Drag Style 162.3dB @36Hz Outlaw 160.7db @35hz Headrest

My Honda: 155.4dB Drag Style 158.0db Outlaw 

Your vehicle probably has a PCM controlled regulator right? If so, that's pretty normal. It's the computer lowering the voltage because the battery doesn't need to be charged and thus decreasing the output of the alternator to increase fuel efficiency, not much but a little bit.

Happens on my truck all the time, starts up at 14.8 and drops as low as 12.8 if my batteries are fully charged up.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

JeppandBass, we are talking about just driving around, barely drawing any power. Big 4 is done, shouldnt have an effect on just driving around...

The new alternator should have a smaller pulley so it spins faster. Aside from that you should add batteries, that holds voltage up. You also want to do the big 3 with good wire.

Wow I didn't know about this, I'm still a pretty big noob. Does it hinder audio performance in any way? - the DC 3.5K is rated at 3500watts only when at 14.4V. Does this mean i Don't get full performance.

Tron do you get this voltage drops while you are driving and battery is charged?

Your vehicle probably has a PCM controlled regulator right? If so, that's pretty normal. It's the computer lowering the voltage because the battery doesn't need to be charged and thus decreasing the output of the alternator to increase fuel efficiency, not much but a little bit.

Happens on my truck all the time, starts up at 14.8 and drops as low as 12.8 if my batteries are fully charged up.

Heat will kill voltage too, mine starts out good then when the car gets to temp the voltage starts to suffer, I have also looked into a voltage boost module, there could be one that can override the computer, but the PCM controlled regulators suck.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JeepAndBass

Picture1.png.a51bb49318e5269e42f12284828c2bb6.png

My Jeep: 157.3dB @26hz Drag Style 162.3dB @36Hz Outlaw 160.7db @35hz Headrest

My Honda: 155.4dB Drag Style 158.0db Outlaw 

Archived