Sonic Electronix

Only Using 2 channels on 4 Channel Amp?

hey guys so i was given the opportunity to upgrade my 2 ch amp to a 4ch amp for free. My 2 ch amp is giving out 80 rms x 2 @ 4ohms and the new one would put out 80 rms x 4 at 4 ohms...my question is...since I'm only working on my front stage for now can i leave the other 2 channels empty until i get new rear speakers for my 350z later in the future. In example i have 2 speakers 1 on each door...positive/negative wires running to the amp from each speaker (duh). They take up both channels on my 2 ch (both +/-), but if i had a 4ch it would leave 2 ch open (2 +/-)...can i do this and still get 80 rms x 2 @ 4 ohms in the first 2 channels without messing with the impedance? I'm not bridging them...just leave the other 2 channels where my rear speakers would be wired into when i get them open

i had a slight issue with my front speakers that might come out of the car...so i might have all 4 speakers together depending on how soon i get 2 new front speakers again....but just asking in case i get my front door speakers before i have a chance to buy the rears

Archived