Thinking I will have voltage issues when everything is installed?!

Today at some point my Mechman 240a alt should be showing up. It is going into a '08 Grand Prix GXP. The amps are a Sound Quebed Q1-2200 and an Q2-200.2 also sound quebed.

just two days ago after I ordered it I found where my car reads voltage (Havent owned car long at all "2 weeks"). In the mornings on my way to work I would get "14.6v", in the afternoon on my way back from work I would get "12.5-13v". Sometimes it would go into the mid 13's. But for the most part "12.5-13V" is where it seemed to stay overall.

I can see now I am going to have some major charging issues with my set up if the voltage stick around the mid 12's. That is not going to work. My negative does run through that black click thing by the battery. I dont remember off hand what it is called but I believe it is look for current draw or voltage.

Is the Grand Prix going to cause me dead aches with voltage even with a HO ALT installed, How can I address this problem when it shows up. Which I'm sure it will because the 12.5v i got on the way home from work is pretty obvious.

Any input would be help full

You could have a sketchy factory alt in there right now that's acting up on you. The high voltage you're seeing is what you'd see with the alt charging, and the low voltage you're seeing is typical battery voltage. So it could be as simple as your alt is not charging as it should. Get the new alt in, and see how everything works at that point and go from there. As far as your ground running through something, I don't know what you're looking at there... Grounds aren't "limited" in any way, if you want you can run an extra ground straight from your battery to the frame.

The reason it is fluctuating is because it enters into fuel economy mode which will cause the alternator to stop charging the battery to reduce the load on the engine and increase mpg...its stupid i know...i have the same problem with my 07 yukon....when you see your gauge go down, try turning on your headlights, thats how i keep my voltage constant...I still have the stock alt and a xs 3400....a permanent fix for that is to add a second alt with a voltage regulator just for your system and keep the stock for your car's electrical sys....or replace the stock alt with your new one using an external regulator.....

I would be will to be that is why I see 14.5 in the morning it is dark yet, and it is colder in the morning?!

would this help my issue? http://www.mechman.com/accessories/adjustable-voltage-boost-module-for-gm-alternators-w-4-pin-oval-plug/

Yes, something like that, but idk if that particular model will fit your ride, i would call mechman and ask them if they make one for your ride

Just called mechman and the secretary said they don't make a voltage booster. She said she would have someone call me back about my question about my voltage moving around. Hopefully I didn't totally screw up by going with mechman instead of singer. Mike singer sent me an email telling me he has a bypass for his alternators that would solve this problem. What totally blows is this alternator is non refundable. So hopefully I'm not screwed over and this thing will work for me

Archived