2003 Ford Explorer, starting small, working my way up!

So of course, after buying some used PG X-overs, I found the damn RF's -_- So installing them today, as well as the rest of the 1/0 OFC under the hood and hopefully the 5.25"s, if I have time.... Been very busy, still have a LOT more to do so many pics to come! :)

Head Unit - Clarion VX709 7" DVD Touchscreen

Mid/Highs - Front Doors - RF Prime 6.5" component mids.

A. Pillars - RF Punch component tweets.
B. Pillars - RF Prime component tweets.
Rear Doors - RF Punch 5.25" mids.
RF Punch 3-way passive X-overs.
Mid/Highs Amp - MB Quart Onyx 360.4, 4 channel, 640W RMS.
Subs - (2) PowerBass 3XL 15, 1000w RMS, 3" flat wound coil, 562oz motor, 10" spider.
Sub Amp - Audiopipe GD6001 @.5ohm, clamped 2825RMS.
Box - 9.6 cu^3 net @35Hz, three 6" aero's.
Charging - Energizer 120Ah AGM under the hood, MaxLife 75Ah in the rear. Big 3, 140A aftermarket alt. (off brand)
Wires - Two JL Audio 2/0ga OFC. runs to rear, 4ga. power/2ga. ground to component amp (OFC), 1/0ga. OFC Knu Konceptz Kolossus Kandy everywhere else.

• 3 weeks later...

So it's been FREEZING cold and windy here since the last time I posted, leaving me halted in my progress. I have no garage and when it's 20 degrees with 30mph wind whipping at you, the last thing you want to do is tear apart doors and such, lol. I have however managed to get a few things done. Was able to finish replacing all of my wire in the Big 3 with 1/0 OFC and get the terminals all sound. Also, got my X-overs installed and hooked to the A-pillar tweets and factory speakers in the rear doors for now. Factory speakers are screaming HELP ME with the MB Quart on them though, so need to get the Punch's installed pronto.

Here is the X-overs, was cold and battery was dying but both sides look exactly the same....

First set of wires ran.

110_zpsc89d06f6.jpg

With the cold and the dying battery I really didn't take many pics during the process, but you get the point...

Here is finished product. Was going to hide the X-overs but the RF symbol lights up red with the music, also indicates when the unit is being overpowered so I decided to mount them on the kicks, just in front of where the 8" mid bass's will be going.

111_zpscb0b2cf8.jpg

Going to wrap a wire loom around the small amount of exposed wire for a cleaner look. These will be the only visible wires in the cabin once I am finished. :)

Subs - (2) PowerBass 3XL 15, 1000w RMS, 3" flat wound coil, 562oz motor, 10" spider.
Charging - Energizer 120Ah AGM under the hood, MaxLife 75Ah in the rear. Big 3, 140A aftermarket alt. (off brand)
Wires - Two JL Audio 2/0ga OFC. runs to rear, 4ga. power/2ga. ground to component amp (OFC), 1/0ga. OFC Knu Konceptz Kolossus Kandy everywhere else.

Here is the Big 3 all completed. Positive is KnuKonceptz Kollosus Kandy 5145 strand, 1/0 OFC in orange. Negative is Stinger HPM 6000+ strand 1/0 OFC, just purple I had laying around, will be eventually replacing all negative wire with SkyHigh black 1/0 OFC for the orange and black look :)

Terminals... Definitely could benefit from some Toolmakers terminals lol, but not as sloppy as I thought and voltage is much stronger now!

114_zps76fbde23.jpg

Cheap battery, but with the amount of CCA it has, is good for starting in this cold azz weather!

Negative run to block, seemed like the best and closest place to connect... Ran out of black sleeves so this one will have a red one :shrug:

112_zpsc8a98497.jpg

Positive run to alternator. Not sure if I was supposed to fuse this line, figured no because the factory one didn't have one....?

113_zps332d54c1.jpg

Didn't take a pic of the negative run to the body because it's very hard to get a camera angled to.... Just a 6" piece of the same purple wire going to the engine. I noticed after I was done, the sticky tutorial on here tells us to run the engine ground to the body ground, not directly to the battery. Not sure how much of a difference this makes, if any. Engine compartment and interior are still dirty so I apologize for that lol, work and the weather have just left me with no time :/

Annnd that's about it for now! Buddy of mine is in the process of installing my second run of 2ga. for me as we speak, so will post pics once that's all done. If I can get it in a heated garage soon, will get the rear door speakers in. Going to flush mount the B pillar tweets and make pods for the A pillar tweets soon too, get the switches and USB flush mounted and Rhino the box. So much more work soon to come!

• 2 weeks later...

Not much more to add really, anticipated this build to slow down when the holidays approached. I did however coat the box with Rhino, just to get a cash offer I can't refuse on it, lol. Ready to put the other 15 in anyways, so selling this box and buying some birch! Going to try and juggle the box build and midrange installs with Christmas and see what I can get done! Will run the two subs on the BRZ1700.1 @.5 for now, if the amp will take it. If it won't, I will wire it @2ohms until tax time when I can get my new amp :) It stays literally cold to the touch @1ohm though and my electrical is surprisingly strong, so I think it will be ok.

Anyways, here is the box and sub all coated, in the vehicle. I filled some holes and sanded the edges before I coated it as well... Could have used a second coat of Rhino if you ask me but for $14 a can, I decided it wasn't worth it for a temporary box. Will go over it with some flat black before the buyer comes and you will never notice the thin spots.

115_zpsd951de87.jpg

Camera lens was dirty so pics came out pretty fuzzy. You can see where I got a little over spray on the black when I painted the port silver, but I was in a hurry and just didn't care. Will fix it with the flat black at $.98 a can lol

Silver port.... Better than that god awful mint green pipe color.

116_zps6e038155.jpg

Sub.... The white around the outside is two sided 3M tape that I made non sticky on one side. I couldn't get the gasket off the other box and didn't want any rattle so this worked for now. Have a new gasket ordered, a thicker one...

117_zps2bd51d77.jpg

So a farewell to the single 15 box, next post should either be the rear door speakers FINALLY being installed, or the build of the new box :) Going to do this one right, will be the entire width of the vehicle and be level with the top of the rear seat. Going with a textured finish that is identical in color to the interior color, so the box will flow into the vehicle nicely!

• 2 weeks later...

So even though I have 5.25" mids, rocker switches and 4 L.E.D's to install, decided to take a break because I am WAY too excited to get two of these 15's slammin! :) Picked up two sheets of PureBond 3/4" premium veneered birch plywood yesterday, got my design all done and my other 15 sitting on my bedroom floor lol.

Going with 10.3 cubes net volume, 9.4 gross (even though I think it's closer to 9.6, both calculators gave me a different number), tuned at 33Hz , three 6" aeros. Will be able to block off the 3rd aero port to get a 27Hz tuning for daily, 33 for doing numbers! Going to run both on my BRZ1700.1D FOR NOW, @.5ohm if the amp will take it. If not, 1200RMS @2ohms it is, will be a nice break in for the new sub :)

Here is the design...

29plain_zps5ec12a21.png

Using 1/2" threaded rod for center bracing. Takes up less air space and I think makes for a stronger brace.... Keep in mind this was done ALL with MSPaint lol. I did it to scale using grids and it takes me less time with Paint than it does with SketchUp.

The birch..... Searched through a pile at Home Depot and found two sheets with REALLY nice finish, although all of the PureBond is pretty nice :) Going to go with poly over the wood grain for a finish, will match my tan interior panels and I will of course use SEVERAL coats for strength and a deep shine!

119_zps7cf84e92.jpg

118_zps5a40eafa.jpg

The grain is like flawless in this wood, what made me decide to go with a wood finish, rather than a texture. First time working with birch so wish me luck, lol. Even though I have been told birch is much easier to work with than MDF and I have made some nice boxes with that :) Plan on taking my sweet time on this build, so will post lots of pics as I go! :)

I have owned the Hifonics amp for a while and am just using it because it is what is available and already installed. When I get my taxes in a month or so, will be getting a Banda ICE 2.5k 2ohm version and about 150Ah worth of AGM's :) Also will be doing some custom, fiberglass pods for the 8" RF Punch Pro's in the kick panels. Going to be fun...lol

• 2 weeks later...

MANY updates on this build, lol. Found out Powerbass totally changed their design on the 3XL's... They made them cheaper, lighter, and worse in just about every way, then jacked the price $120, almost DOUBLE what mine was! LUCKY for me, I found 4 of my style left at the original price, right at the last minute... so I ordered it! :) Should be here today!

So in the mean time, I have been building my birch enclosure for the pair of them and I must say, coming along VERY nicely! Going to be doing a wood finish, with multiple coats of poly. I also decided to increase the gross volume to 11 cubes, to get around 10 cubes after subs, ports and bracing. And also to go with only two 6" aeros for now, can always add more later if I don't like it. Tuning will be at 28Hz now, try for some more low end :)

Here are some box pics of what I have done so far. Got to have them joints and cuts like PERFECT in order for clear coat to look good, so been taking my sweet azz time haha.

First joint glued... Will be screws on the bottom, and on the bottom baffle layer, covered by the top baffle which I will glue on and clamp dry. When complete, you will not see any screws or screw holes, just veneer!

120_zpsbf765d58.jpg
Outside of the box...
123_zpsde4ab503.jpg
121_zpsebfa260f.jpg
Getting them joints perfect can be tricky.... Just need to do the top baffle layer and rear panel and the rough shell will be finished! :)
Inside the box...
122_zps2b3276df.jpg
125_zpsbfbca8b3.jpg
Did a thin coat of seal on the joints. Going to be adding 45 degree bracing anyways, but figured it can't hurt!
That's about it for now! Should have the rough shell done today, then it's finding time with Christmas and all to sand it, port it and poly it. Gonna be itching from today on with two subs and no box lol. STILL have RF Punch rear door speakers, switches, and L.E.D's to install as well, plus I am ordering the 8" mid bass's for the kicks soon too :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I am just strapped on time, between my job and the holidays it's impossible to find time to get anything done lol. I have however got the box nearly complete and ordered a pair of Dayton 8" mid bass's for custom fiber enclosures I will be building on the kicks :) Box should be done this week, leaving me with just the front stage to finish, installing the RF 5.25"s and the Dayton 8"s. Got some pics of the box so far, coming REALLY nice! No screws visible on the shell of box and joints are all smooth and perfect, so I can clear coat it with good results!

Time to put the second baffle on, plenty of glue!

132_zps5fabe28a.jpg

Top baffle before installation, got my speaker holes marked out.

131_zps792bde3f.jpg

Now to get the baffle on.... Did 4 screws around each speaker hole, close enough to where the basket of the subs will hide the screws. This held the baffle down while the glue dried and makes for a nice tight seem where the subs will mount.

134_zps055ccf17.jpg

Here you can see what I did with the screws... Counter sunk them so the heads will not hit the basket.

135_zps094a938a.jpg

Re used a dead sub to hold down my baffle lol.... Just enough weight to where it's all flat to the bottom baffle and will not rattle!

133_zpsf210b7ce.jpg

Archived