OzzieComm Posted October 15, 2014 Report Posted October 15, 2014 Hi All, I have space to house 2 subs for my car (Trunk) the dimensions of 900w x 450d x 420h measurements are in mm or Box in Inches are 34w x 17d 16h Torres says this is 135ltrs or 4.23 cubic feet internal gross volume, so I think I have plenty of room to play with. I'm wanting to run 2 x 12" Shok subs T/S specs below. I've tried everything to get the required tuning for the subs, but just cant work it out, either the port area is too small or the tuning is too high. Subs will get rated power or slightly more. ( Manufacture says 700 rms of clean power. ) Thoughts? Thxs Mike. Triton 12″ re-7.6ohmfs-34.925hzqts-.578qes-.650qms-5.224vas-1.495sens-86.3dB SPLmms-181.594Mounting Depth : 162mm ( 6.4 inches)Mounting Diameter : 280mm ( 11 inches)2x 60 Oz motor,3″ 4 layer copper coils 500 Watts rms Recommended enclosure: Sealed: 1 cubic feet Ported: 2.2 cubic feet @ 33 hz nothing to see here...
philrab Posted October 15, 2014 Report Posted October 15, 2014 So, you have 4.23 cubes gross, without port or subwoofer displacement? Cause the port is going to eat into that quite a bit. 2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread 2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount. Build Thread 1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes.
OzzieComm Posted October 15, 2014 Author Report Posted October 15, 2014 Hmmm, good point, excluding port and sub(s) displacement. Let me have a recheck in torres. nothing to see here...
philrab Posted October 15, 2014 Report Posted October 15, 2014 From memory (and I hate my memory, cause it lets me down all the time) when I built my last ported enclosure for an SA12 (2.12 cubes net, tuned to 33 hz) it started somewhere over 3 cubes gross before sub and port displacement (the port was 19" long or so, plus sub, plus bracing.) Just saying, you're right on the ragged edge for net airspace for those two subs ported, so if you need to eat into that for port displacement, you're gonna choke the subs to death fairly quickly. Or, I'm misunderstanding you and you could be all good. Let us know what you come up with. 2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread 2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount. Build Thread 1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes.
OzzieComm Posted October 15, 2014 Author Report Posted October 15, 2014 Hmmm, just cant get it right, I can get the tuning to 33.74hz but the port ratio is at 1:8, port area is 32in sqNet volume drops to 2.64 cubesI'll try to get a pic up of torres. nothing to see here...
philrab Posted October 15, 2014 Report Posted October 15, 2014 Maybe consider a passive radiator setup? That way the PR's won't eat up space like the port would. Or, is there any way you can run an external port? Port through the back seat/ski hole/arm rest? You know your vehicle man, gotta tell me if anyone of that sounds even remotely feasible, but I'm spitballing. I just don't see how a traditional ported box with those max dimensions is going to work well for two of those subs. Unless, you would be satisfied running just one ported, or two sealed. Then we're talking a whole different situation. 2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread 2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount. Build Thread 1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes.
OzzieComm Posted October 15, 2014 Author Report Posted October 15, 2014 Morning... I have a ski hole where I could run an external port. I might sketch something up and see what I come up with. Or.. What about aero port? Thanks for your input btw, much appreciated. nothing to see here...
philrab Posted October 16, 2014 Report Posted October 16, 2014 An aero could be a smaller diameter, and by extension shorter, for the same tuning freq (aeros are more efficient, therefore can tolerate less port area without noise to a degree). They also take up less volume than a slot port. All that said, if you can run an external port it'd help. Not sure how it would effect acoustics porting through the ski hole, or what direction you should face the sub if you go that route (I have a hatch). More research. 2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread 2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount. Build Thread 1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes.
OzzieComm Posted October 16, 2014 Author Report Posted October 16, 2014 I think my Woofer and Bracing was a bit large (Combined at 1cuft) so move them down. (Will need to confirm the area of the woofer)This is with a standard round port, not flared at the end like an aero In the below pic I have increased the port dia to 6" x 14.5" - This has increased the port area considerably to over 28 sq inAnd net volume is 3.59 cu ft. I think a round port might be the way to go. Aero port http://www.parts-express.com/precision-port-6-flared-port-tube-kit--268-354 - for my reference nothing to see here...
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.