01 Silverado 4 10's in progress

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking for opinions. I have an opportunity to get my hands on a rebuilt jl12w7, I think I can make the single sub fit under the seat. I will still be powering it on the same amp I have on my alpine 10's now. A quick really rough measurement is a 2.5-3 cft ported box. Should I?

• 1 month later...

Do you know why you lost the coils? I'd want to know what was up before buying new sub(s) and losing it all over again.

Dont know, but where I got them from offers a 3 year warranty.. I just have to rma them. By spec the amp is overpowering the rms by 50 watts per coil, so I cant see that being the issue. Based on how cheap they were and the 3 yr warranty offered I bet they were refurbs... Even Alpine wont warranty them for 3 years.

Maybe. Beating the dead clipping horse, and that it's been said constantly that hifonics amps push dirty power, how did you set your gain? Possibly clipping the signal going to the subs? Just a question. Only took a quick glance at your build log and am not sure how you set the amp up. But if the signal is verified clean via oscilloscope or DD-1, then it could just be that maybe they were recones that couldn't withstand the power and time going to them. Good job though on the setup.

I used a old oscope I got from my uncle to set gains. Now if the oscope was out of calibration I possibly was clipping, but this oscope is so old there are no external calibration points. That very well could have been my problem. I do know that after I blew the first sub I rewire just two of them to make a 4 ohm load which brought the power down but less coils increased the power to each coil. So by spec I was pushing 400w rms to each coil when they are only rated at 250w per coil rms. My buddy has the same subs and quantity but he has the 4 ohm coils and I have the 2 ohm. He runs his hard and more poer than my amp and he doesn't have a problem with his. That is why I am kinda leaning towards mine being refurbs or there is just something wrong with the 2ohm versions.

Archived