Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

should i make this box ported?


blanestudly

Recommended Posts

Posted

I've always heard that sealed enclosures are the best for SQ, which i do believe.. more responsive, tighter yata yata yata, but would porting it make that dramatic of a difference? Im still in the production stage of the box. its for 2 12" kenwood KFC-XW12's. they have an xmax of 15.1 mm, the box design is 4 cubic feet, 4.119 to be exact. I was thinking round ports over slot ports. 2 of them. My current build is straight for SQ so let me know what you guys think? im always open for advice.

Posted

I've always heard that sealed enclosures are the best for SQ....

That's a generalization and is not always true. Either box style can have excellant SQ or terrible SQ, it all comes down to how they are designed.

How much power are you putting to those subs? Usually trying to retrofit ports into a existing sealed box doesn't work out well, but depending on the shape of your box you might be able to do it w/o too many problems.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

I've always heard that sealed enclosures are the best for SQ....

That's a generalization and is not always true. Either box style can have excellant SQ or terrible SQ, it all comes down to how they are designed.

How much power are you putting to those subs? Usually trying to retrofit ports into a existing sealed box doesn't work out well, but depending on the shape of your box you might be able to do it w/o too many problems.

it isnt an existing box. i havent made it yet, but i started the design. and 800 rms.

Posted

it isnt an existing box. i havent made it yet, but i started the design. and 800 rms.

Sorry, looks like I missed that part.

I looked over the specs for those subs, they have high QTS a really low EPB. I would probably just stick with a sealed box, they probably won't perform well in a ported enclosure.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

it isnt an existing box. i havent made it yet, but i started the design. and 800 rms.

Sorry, looks like I missed that part.

I looked over the specs for those subs, they have high QTS a really low EPB. I would probably just stick with a sealed box, they probably won't perform well in a ported enclosure.

do you think 4 cubs is to large?

Posted

For sealed? No, with a high QTS sub the more space the better, generally speaking.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

I would recommend against ported on those subs. Kenwood never has been much for ported box subs and these seem much the same. You 4 cube sealed should be a decent choice although I might lean towards a bit smaller unless they are really stiff subs.

What?!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9074 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...