Sundown Audio

Need help tuning two SD2-10D4s

• 2 weeks later...

As promised I would update ya'll when I made some progress.

Well let me first start out by saying: "Sorry". In my early days for audio systems (back in early '00's) I was a poor H/S kid. My amp(s) were hand-me-downs from friends or my brother along with dirt cheap subs from friends when they bought new ones. I never had a real car/truck audio system until now. More than anything, I never had a real H/U that had more than a "loud" button or 3 EQ.

My issue was because of my LPF on the amp and crossover on the H/U. I had stated what my settings were in my post and maybe like I did when reading online how to properly tune subs (not set the gain) you guys overlooked what I was doing wrong.

It turns out that I either needed to A: use the crossover on the H/U to control the filtering of frequencies to the subs OR use the LPF on the amp and turn off the crossover on the H/U.

I decided to turn the LPF on the amp to its highest setting, 240hz to allow all frequencies to enter the amp but control the output of frequencies from the H/U with the built-in crossover.

Once I corrected these settings, I re-adjusted the gain using the 40hz test-tone and FINALLY!!!!!!! the subs came to life. I have to admit that this was truly only my fault for not reading more documentation on how to adjust properly. I still have the subs in the sealed box and they are sounding pretty good. I still feel like I should be getting a little more out of them but I'm thinking that's where the ported box is going to fill the void.

I just got done pre-wiring the 4 door speakers in my truck, (leaving the 3 dash speakers on trucks factory amp) installing my new Kicker 6x9's from the front doors with 6.5" for the rear doors. All that is left is installing my GM-D8604 4chan amp and putting the subs in the new, ported box.

Thanks for ya'lls help and please feel free to chime in if you think there is a better way for me to go about this.

Correct. The LPF is at 240hz because there are no switches or other knobs besides the LPF and the Gain to set the amp at "flat" as my co-worker called it.

I believe the H/U's crossover is set at either 80hz -18db or at 100hz -24db. I honestly can't remember but sounds much louder and no clipping. Just to give you an example of how low-volume the subs were: When I adjusted the crossover's on the 6x9's and 6.5" and EQ'ed them to what I feel is "perfect" I could turn the subs on or off (by using the H/U to turn on or off the sub signal) you could not hear them subs turn on or off, it was that bad... :(

Ported box came in and deff made a difference. To think, you can actually tell there are two 10" subs in that truck now. I also installed the 4chan amp to run the 4 door speakers and left the 3 dash speakers on the factory amp.

I've got a little tweaking to do but overall this Ram 1500 sounds amazing.