Second Skin Audio

Soundqubed hds312

Both gains were about half way just subs couldn't handle the extra power....

Unfortunately the position of the gain knobs is meaningless. You can be putting out a clipped signal with the gain turned all the way down if the input voltage is high enough. Probably 90% of the time someone burns up a sub is because they are clipping. When you go to setup your new subs I strongly recommend you learn to set your gains the proper way or find someone who can. This will be extra important since you will be running two subs.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Unfortunately the position of the gain knobs is meaningless. You can be putting out a clipped signal with the gain turned all the way down if the input voltage is high enough. Probably 90% of the time someone burns up a sub is because they are clipping. When you go to setup your new subs I strongly recommend you learn to set your gains the proper way or find someone who can. This will be extra important since you will be running two subs.

Ok so what all do I need to set my gains just a volt meter or do I need something else to ?

Ok so what all do I need to set my gains just a volt meter or do I need something else to ?

I love my mini ossciloscope (DSO Nano V3) for setting my gains but you could use a voltimeter and some math. Just don't try to set the amp to what it says it'll put out.

2001 Civic LX Sedan
Pioneer DEH-7500HD

Big 3 in 1/0 Knu CCA
Rockford P500-4
RF Punch P165-S in doors
RF Punch P165 in rear deck
Front doors deadened with Damplifier

Next
SQ's new HDS208 8" in a T-line whenever it FINALLY COMES OUT I CAN FINALLY AFFORD IT
:dammit:

Bend over and I'll show ya.

how is it 2 days work? half a day at most, i may be an idiot, but im not an idiot.

I love my mini ossciloscope (DSO Nano V3) for setting my gains but you could use a voltimeter and some math. Just don't try to set the amp to what it says it'll put out.

could u explain how u use a volt meter to set the gain or is there a thread that speaks about that

I don't think it was clipping but could be wrong the sub is only rated at 500 rms and I'm probably at least putting 800 to it I'm guessing that's why it blew but it very well could have been getting a clipped signal. When I get the new subs I will make sure I have it all set correctly.

What makes you think you weren't clipping? Without the proper equipment its very hard to tell. The fact that you burned up your sub leads me to believe you were clipping. Its pretty hard to burn up a sub on music with a clean signal. Let this be a lesson to you.

I also have a DSO Nano (mine is v1) and it works very well for the price, especially with the BenF firmware.

Unfortunately you cannot just use a voltmeter and some math to set your gains. The reason is a voltmeter can't tell if you are getting a clipped signal and no amp is going to put out exactly what it is rated to. Better built amps will put out more than rated, so if you just use math and a DMM you won't hurt anything but you will be leaving some performance on the table. Lower quality amps often put out less than rated (sometimes MUCH less) so using math and a DMM you are going to clip the shit out of your subs.

The correct way to set gains is with either an o-scope (like the DSO Nano) or a DD-1. There really aren't any exceptions to this and any other way is just going to be a guess.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived