Just A Random Question About Painting Metal

So im in the process of restoring my 67 mustang, but no longer have access to a sandblaster at the moment like I have for a while. So the previous owner put some POS primer on it, besides the fact he covered up some decent sized rust holes with just bondo. So what I am doing is taking a wire brush on an angle grinder, and taking off the bondo and POS primer to fix it up right. So when I get done going over it with the brush, it leaves the surface pretty smooth, to the point of being pretty reflective, unlike the sandblasting which leaves a surface with tiny pits in it that the paint has plenty of surface area to adhere to. So my question is should the self-etching primer I am using be good enough adhering to the surface to the point I won't later need to worry about stripping it again and blasting it?

When i went to "scool" for AutoBody thats all we used was etching primer on bare metal. it was ground with 36grit then sprayed with etching primer, then sanded lightly and coated with regular gray primer(i like dupont EURO Prime- but i heard they are gonna stop making it), n off to the paint booth.

Alright, that helps. Thanks. I might take a pic here in a bit to show you exactly what it looks like just to make sure though...

So now its going to be a while before I can get a pic... I forgot I left my camera in my gf's bag... I guess its alright though, ill have some nice new pics of her tomorrow... Anyways, Ive pretty much decided that I am just going to go ahead and buy me a small pot blaster just to take away any doubt in my mind...