Second Skin Audio

car audio ?'s

eastwood

The xs power section on here has a diagram with all their batteries info. Including dimensions. So if u know the dimensions of your oem battery u can pick one that will fit.

Dont forget to put a fuse on your run between the alt and positive post.

once the mechman is in I will be sure to. What do you think 250-300 fuse. Saw another thread and it seemed to be the response given

If you are only getting a 160 amp alt anything that is the same amperage or a little bigger will b best. The fuse is there to protect your battery from a possible malfunctioning alternator. Too big and it cant do its job properly.

^^ Wrong. Not to shit on your post mathewyocham, but handing out misinformation can put someone in harms way even when it is done with the best of intentions.

A fuse will do it's job properly, it's people that don't know better that use bigger fuses as solutions to problems that mess things up. A malfunctioning alt can damage a battery, but not because of a problem that a fuse can prevent.

Fuses are there to protect humans and protect electrical components by being the weak link in a circuit and blowing before fires and other damage occurs. Current availability isn't going to damage your battery. Over or under voltage can harm the battery, but fuses don't give a shit about voltage, just current, so you aren't fusing to protect your battery. It is good practice to wire things so that your wire has more current carrying capability than what will ever be asked of it. That minimizes risks associated with wires getting too hot, even if voltage drops lower than you expected. When voltage drops, current demand goes up and the wire gets hotter.

That said, you never want to fuse for more than what the wire is capable of handling. It's best not to even fuse right at that spec, always fuse below what the wire is capable of. To protect you, not your battery.

once the mechman is in I will be sure to. What do you think 250-300 fuse. Saw another thread and it seemed to be the response given

If you are only getting a 160 amp alt anything that is the same amperage or a little bigger will b best. The fuse is there to protect your battery from a possible malfunctioning alternator. Too big and it cant do its job properly.

^^ Wrong. Not to shit on your post mathewyocham, but handing out misinformation can put someone in harms way even when it is done with the best of intentions.

A fuse will do it's job properly, it's people that don't know better that use bigger fuses as solutions to problems that mess things up. A malfunctioning alt can damage a battery, but not because of a problem that a fuse can prevent.

Fuses are there to protect humans and protect electrical components by being the weak link in a circuit and blowing before fires and other damage occurs. Current availability isn't going to damage your battery. Over or under voltage can harm the battery, but fuses don't give a shit about voltage, just current, so you aren't fusing to protect your battery. It is good practice to wire things so that your wire has more current carrying capability than what will ever be asked of it. That minimizes risks associated with wires getting too hot, even if voltage drops lower than you expected. When voltage drops, current demand goes up and the wire gets hotter.

That said, you never want to fuse for more than what the wire is capable of handling. It's best not to even fuse right at that spec, always fuse below what the wire is capable of. To protect you, not your battery.

I plan on getting the mechman 240 and the xs kit is rated to 250. So you think 250 is safe

Ok good to know bro. Wasnt trying to misinform anyone. Im still learning myself. From what i have heard that was the way i understood it. Thank you for better explaining it. I myself always use wire that gives me at least 50 amps of amp draw more than ill need and i fuse it under what the wire will carry. Ive seen what happens when wires burn from to much juice. Not in my ride but a friend of mines. He got lucky and didnt burn it down but it got some carpet and his back seats.

Is that wire and alt not a good match? Should I have got the xs kit good to 300 and the 240 alt and fuse at say 260?

What alt are you getting? You should be fine with a single run of OFC zero gauge unless you are planning on getting a like 320+amp alt lol

Is that wire and alt not a good match? Should I have got the xs kit good to 300 and the 240 I understandalt and fuse at say 260?

What alt are you getting? You should be fine with a single run of OFC zero gauge unless you are planning on getting a like 320+amp alt lol

using rockFord_Expedition math I could just a mechman 160. But either him or you ( I appreciate both of your information) said to get the biggest I could for future upgrades. So for only 100$ more I could get the 240. i understand fusing below the 0ga cable but with the alt at 240 amps i can't fuse below it or it would constantly blow wouldn't it?

Is that wire and alt not a good match? Should I have got the xs kit good to 300 and the 240 I understandalt and fuse at say 260?

using rockFord_Expedition math I could just a mechman 160. But either him or you ( I appreciate both of your information) said to get the biggest I could for future upgrades. So for only 100$ more I could get the 240. i understand fusing below the 0ga cable but with the alt at 240 amps i can't fuse below it or it would constantly blow wouldn't it?

You can get a different fuse for whichever alt you end up getting. It's not like you are locked into getting a 200amp fuse for any alt, I wonder if you are reading the specs on some big three kits...just buy the wiring and fusing separately, its cheaper, safer and better!

Also, regarding what alt to get... hairpin is def the best, but more pricey. If you want the next best thing, look up the mechman alts...each alt for your car should have a graph that shows amperage output vs. engine rpms if I remember correctly. So, do this...turn on your car, see what it idles at..then go to each of the mechman alt graphs for your car, look at the amperage rating at the rpm you just found..whichever alt has the the highest amperage rating at your idle rpms, get THAT one. :)

You can get a different fuse for whichever alt you end up getting. It's not like you are locked into getting a 200amp fuse for any alt, I wonder if you are reading the specs on some big three kits...just buy the wiring and fusing separately, its cheaper, safer and better!

Also, regarding what alt to get... hairpin is def the best, but more pricey. If you want the next best thing, look up the mechman alts...each alt for your car should have a graph that shows amperage output vs. engine rpms if I remember correctly. So, do this...turn on your car, see what it idles at..then go to each of the mechman alt graphs for your car, look at the amperage rating at the rpm you just found..whichever alt has the the highest amperage rating at your idle rpms, get THAT one. :)

either on the box or I read it online the xs kit I got said 250 amp max. So I need to fuse under that for safety but the alt is 240 amps at full rpm. So what fuse should I use? I can't put a fuse below it's full output right?

On the alt I

Archived