Shuelk Posted April 26, 2015 Report Posted April 26, 2015 Hello all! This is my first post, been lurking around for a while but only just registered. I plan to make my first enclosure to house 2x 12" Pioneer TSW-305C. I know these are not the most powerful drivers but I'm maximising the potential of what I have. Specs for these require 1.50cuft per subwoofer. My amp is a Alpine MRD M-500. I am currently using this to power both the subs at 2 ohms. Subs are rated at 400W RMS each while the amp is rated at 500W rms @ 2ohms. I am aware this is probably not efficent however my current sealed box is breaking to peices and sounds like crap. Some pre-notes: - I am using RE box calculator at the moment (if there is something better please do advise!). - Max specs I can go for without loosing all my boot space is: Height - 17", Width - 35", Depth - 19" - this leaves a 1 foot gap between the box and the end of the boot. - I have plenty of polyfill where I need to makeup for volume - My goal is SQ with the desire to be able to feel the thud's and boom on my chest while minimising the muddiness in the 80-150hz range - I only listen to House/Dance/Trance, RnB & Hiphop So, while considering the above, some questions I would like to ask that I could not specifically find or found mixed responsed on google was: 1: For SQ and the feeling of each thud, Is it better for ported or sealed? If ported, Is it better to have the port facing the boot? (In the UK we call the trunk the boot). Also if ported, what hz tune is ideal for my music taste? Internet peoples opinions ranges between 28hz-40hz 2: Subs pointing up or towards the back? I have tried facing towards the rear seats in it's current box but there is no sense of bass (feels phased out) 3: Single chamber or Dual chamber for my setup? - Will a single chamber damage my subs due to the pressure of one another, especially on an L slot port where one sub will be pushing against the port 4: https://youtu.be/LuNOn9Ye1Cc?t=32s <-- Is this type of port (one shared port) something that should only be used for more powerful subs? or will this work for me? - This is related to Q. 3 Apologies for the wall of text but any help or advice appreciated!
Quintine Posted April 26, 2015 Report Posted April 26, 2015 Can your rear seats fold down to give access to the boot? If you leave it till the last minute, it will only take a minute. Build Log - 4x12's Trunk Firing 6th
Shuelk Posted April 26, 2015 Author Report Posted April 26, 2015 Can your rear seats fold down to give access to the boot? Yes, It's a Vaxhaull Vectra C (Opel in other countries). Getting a box in the boot is no problem
Quintine Posted April 26, 2015 Report Posted April 26, 2015 A box around 3-3.5 cubes and tuned around 32-35hz would probably sound decent I would recon. Or a 4th around 2 Sealed : 1.5 Ported around 55hz (I know its high but should sound good) If you leave it till the last minute, it will only take a minute. Build Log - 4x12's Trunk Firing 6th
Shuelk Posted May 1, 2015 Author Report Posted May 1, 2015 does it matter if the sub closest to the port is hitting the 2-3"L part of the port? as in when the cone is pushed back, there will be an un-even force, or does that not matter? I know a fix to that is to have the subs pointing up, but I would like to avoid that.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.