Sonic Electronix

Ok so one of my friends here at my college has almost no trunk space in his classic car, and he has 2 12" woofers, and he realized that he did not have enough space to build an decent looking box in the trunk. (Got the subs thinking he would have enough room) So he asked if it would sound good if he tore down the deck behind the rear seats that held some crappy 6x9s and built a box that from the inside, that looked the the original deck, but had the 12" subs in it firing up instead of the 6x9's. And the rest of the box would be built below that but you wouldn't be able to see it unless you looked way up under there from inside the trunk.

I told him I have no idea so I would ask here...

The subs would be firing up, in a sealed box, but it would have the slanted rear window glass a few inches above it. I just didn't know if not having the subs in the trunk, firing up, with the glass that close to it would make a noticeable difference...

I hope this is easy to understand and isn't too nooby of a question either.

If this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it

Custom 1977 Chevy Nova Show Car:

(1) Kenwood KDC-MP638U Head Unit

(10) Sony 3" in the dash

(2) Rockford Fosgate P3 12" P3D412

(1) Rockford Fosgate P1000.1bd @ 1ohm

(1) Rockford Fosgate PEQ Bass Remote

(1) Rockford Fosgate 1 Farad Digital Capacitor RFC1D

All Rockford Fosgate 4AWG Power/Ground wire

Under construction:

(2) Rockford Fosgate P162C 6.0" 2-Way Full-Range Speakers up front

(2) Rockford Fosgate P1694C 6"x9" 4-Way Full-Range Speakers in the back

EVERYTHING hidden to maintain authentic look

Is it going to be a regular size box with just the rear deck removed? Or are you gonna put cut out a hole in the back deck for the 12s? im not totally understanding, but if the box is going to be normal size... it being that close to the window wont hurt anything

Yes, it would be a normal sized box, it will have the reccomended airspace for his subs. He is not going to just cut holes big enough for the subs, but he is going to build a box under the deck. You will just only see the top of the box (which would look like the original rear deck) He just thought that building a box where the top of the box "looked" like the original deck behind the seats might work because that part of the trunk has more room than actually trying to squeeze a box into the cargo part of the trunk. The trunk is sort of "L" shaped (see below) where the trunk deck is, it is about 7 inches taller than the actual cargo trunk space

descwk6.jpg

(not to scale)

He was just concerned about subs pointing up, and having the back window slanting right above it, and if that would make it sound not as loud... he is convinced that rear firing subs in the trunk is the way to go because he sees it all the time, and I honestly didn't know what avice to give him...

Plus it is a classic show car so it has to appear to be stock... (or so he wants it)

(10) Sony 3" in the dash

Under construction:

It wouldn't hurt anything, would be just as loud if not louder.... especially if the cabin is dynamated

Ok cool, I'm sure he will be happy to hear that, thanks!

Here is an updated version of his idea (not to scale, proportions not correct) to help better understand what he wants to do

descgf2.jpg

(10) Sony 3" in the dash

Under construction:

Ok cool, I'm sure he will be happy to hear that, thanks!

Here is an updated version of his idea (not to scale, proportions not correct) to help better understand what he wants to do

descgf2.jpg

If the box is going to be that close to the trunk wall then u could seal the trunk off by placing a cut piece of wood between the box and trunk then sealing it off with foam so no air gets through.... then it'd be ALOT louder(esp if the cabin is dynamted)

bassaddictio8.jpg

Well one side of the box would actually be cut big enough to seal itself off. The box would sit right behind the back seat, and the top of the box would appear to be the original rear deck.

</offtopic>I made a model of iti n google SketchUp but when I went to load it after saving it, its all wireframed and you can't see the faces and I can't fix it... no I dont have "x-ray" or "wire frame" checked... someone said something about the graphics accelerator needing to be turned off.

(10) Sony 3" in the dash

Under construction: