Second Skin Audio

Need Help with Crown Vic Bandpass

2:1 ratio or as close to it as you can..... Tune to 48 it should make the port 18-30 inches long depending on size of box and port

3 cubes sealed and as many as you can get ported

18-25" of port per cube(measured from volume of the ported side)

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

After the box is in and playing and you want more lows then lengthen the port even more..... Other way to optimize lower end is make sealed side bigger.... But I would never do that 3 cubes is plenty for 1 18

Could do as little as 2 if you have a decent amount of power and multiple drivers

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

EXO just mentioned in his bandpass video that a 1:1 ratio gives the best SQ? Do you still tune high with the 1:1 ratio?

Yes, 1:1 is best for sq. Gives a flatter response across the tuning frequency.. Is that what ur looking for??

Tuning is up to you.. what kind of frequencies do u want to hit??

The box I designed has a frequency response from 28 hz to 60 hz.. peaking at 40 hz...

I'm not *exactly* sure what I want. Like I know I want it "loud" and I want it to "sound good", but I don't know what means in quantitative terms, because my loud is probably not your loud. I want the bass nice and punchy, not muddy where the tones all mush together. Basically I want it to play music well, and if there's real low bass in the song it should vibrate you a little.
Well, if u want "punchy" bass, then I'd recommend going with a sealed enclosure instead of 4th order..

A 4th order is punchier than a ported enclose but not as punchy as sealed...

I went ahead and designed a couple different 4th order enclosures based on max dimensions from the Vic I'm building for(should be closenough to urs.)

Based on size restrictions, and the FI Q18, your output will peak around 50hz not matter size of the chambers.. You'll need a much larger enclosure to achieve a lower peak/response..

L O. Fucking L

Where did you pull that last part out of? Your ass?

Sorry but no sealed in this car sucks.... Maybe in a tahoe or suv but not in those tanks

You can get it to play super low in that car mainly because you are forced to make the port very long to utilize the rear deck, having a 20" long port creates turbulence period... So does having a turn in the port but trying to say a sealed box will be "punchier" than a properly designed 4th order in THAT car is straight ludacris

No matter what a sealed box in the trunk of that car will sound like shit..... Even ported completely in the truck no whole in the rear deck will sound like shit......

lol.. i didnt say sealed or ported would sound amazing in that vehicle.. i just stated the known.. sealed IS more "punchy".. ported IS more "muddy"...

4th order is definitely the way to go.

and when playing with the size of the chambers (based off of 11.5 cu ft) the peak was staying near 50 hz the whole time. not exactly, but near.. i did a couple enclosure sizes to see what kind of output and response he would get.. i did sealed as small as 2 cu ft to 4 cu ft.. and ported the rest..

ill post screenshots of what i am talking about tomorrow..

and please dont take this post the wrong way.. im not saying im right, just saying what ive designed and calculated is reading what i reported.. ill hop on winISD in the morning and enter the numbers you said to see where he's at..

P.S. what is the acual space in the trunk?? remember my size limitations are based off a 95...

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

Factory Sony 10 Speaker Sound System

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Custom Center console in the works. will house an NVX NSW10"

https://m.facebook.com/WinnsCustomCarAudio/

After the box is in and playing and you want more lows then lengthen the port even more..... Other way to optimize lower end is make sealed side bigger.... But I would never do that 3 cubes is plenty for 1 18

Could do as little as 2 if you have a decent amount of power and multiple drivers

So Is the Fi Q 18 a good driver choice for a bandpass? The minimum recommended sealed volume is 4cf.

ok.. Ive got a couple enclosure output specs here.. these are drawn up in WinISD pro (which is a free program)

so here is what I said (dark blue) cortez's also (light blue)

first designs are as follows....

me- 4 cuft sealed and 7 ported tuned to 48hz peak response at 47.89hz at 5.676db. output starts at 35.6hz

cortez - 3 cuft sealed and 6 ported (strict 2:1 ratio) tuned to 48hz peak at 46.6hz at 4.763 db, output starts at 36.14hz

fi%20q%204th.png

next enclosure

me- same as above

cortez- (with as much ported as possible) 8 cuft ported tuned to 48 peaks at 47.1hz at 6.392 db. output starts at 36.14

fi%20q%204th%202.png

next enclosue

me- same

cortez- 2 cuft sealed and 6 ported tuned to 48hz. peak at 45.45hz at 4.84 db. output starts a 36.14 hz

fi%20q%204th%203.png

here are 3 more designs keeping the max dims I mentions with 4 sealed and 7 ported but tuned differently.....

dark blue- tuned to 40hz peaking at 37.8hz at 3.104db.. output starts at 31.8hz

green- same as my previous boxes..

light blue- tuned to 50hz peaking at 56.5hz at 7.702db.. output starts at 38.5hz.

***these are to show you how different tuning will affect output and response***

fi%20q%204th%204.png

you will need to figure out YOUR space in the trunk to truly determine what you can fit,

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

Factory Sony 10 Speaker Sound System

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Custom Center console in the works. will house an NVX NSW10"

https://m.facebook.com/WinnsCustomCarAudio/

• 9 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread but I would like to build this box can anyone help me with some measurements I'm a total newb and don't understand the tuning and box calculators. I will be purchasing 2 15" psi platform 2 subs. I like rap and hip hop. Thanks for the help

Archived