Second Skin Audio

Need Help with Crown Vic Bandpass

Hey guys, I've got an 05 Crown Vic and I'm going to be building my first system. My main goal is to be loud enough for me (1-2000w in subs should be plenty for me), and to sound great. I want an 18 because of the frequency response, and I've read that the best way to get an 18 in a Crown Vic is a 4th order bandpass like this:

11111111111.png

(Source: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/enclosure-design-construction-help/420298-4th-order-bandpass-opinions.html)

The problem is that's about all I know. I'm not sure what the best dimensions are for me, and I'm not sure how to build the box in sections. I was thinking of the Fi Q 18 because it should get loud and sound great. Any other sub suggestions?

Where should I start with this guys? Thanks!

Been seeing a ton of boxes like this lately. Interesting wonder where the all came from

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

im actually getting ready to do the same thing for a buddy of mine. his is a 95 though (not much difference)...

I convinced him to got with this kind of 4th order b/c he wanted a port thru the deck.. doing that with a regular ported box would have sounded bad is what iwas told..

ill be building his 4th in 3 sections (4 if you count the access panel)...

sealed box

ported box

port

here what it looks like in sections

pieces.png

and actually, the sizes of the box ill be building would be great for yours..

the sealed section is 4 cuft

ported is 7.56 minus driver displacement

the port though is up to you. what kind of frequency response do you want.. do you want it to sound peaky or a flat response..

i can help with WINisd in the morning to help you figure out response and determine your port length..

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

Factory Sony 10 Speaker Sound System

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Custom Center console in the works. will house an NVX NSW10"

https://m.facebook.com/WinnsCustomCarAudio/

Been seeing a ton of boxes like this lately. Interesting wonder where the all came from

YOU!!! LOL!!!

Your box looked awsome!! especially with the amprack!!

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Well damn, lol. It was indeed your car (actually on crownvic.net) that gave me the first idea, but then I couldn't find the page again to source it.

im actually getting ready to do the same thing for a buddy of mine. his is a 95 though (not much difference)...

I convinced him to got with this kind of 4th order b/c he wanted a port thru the deck.. doing that with a regular ported box would have sounded bad is what iwas told..

and actually, the sizes of the box ill be building would be great for yours..

the sealed section is 4 cuft

ported is 7.56 minus driver displacement

the port though is up to you. what kind of frequency response do you want.. do you want it to sound peaky or a flat response..

i can help with WINisd in the morning to help you figure out response and determine your port length..

EXO just mentioned in his bandpass video that a 1:1 ratio gives the best SQ? Do you still tune high with the 1:1 ratio?

Low "ratio" gives you flatter response curve BUT you give up loudness. You will be loudest near your tuning frequency specially if you chose a high chamber ratio and then it rolls off so if you tune too low you are not going to have any midbass.

Make sure the subs you are going to use work well with 4th bandpass or is not going to work.

EXO just mentioned in his bandpass video that a 1:1 ratio gives the best SQ? Do you still tune high with the 1:1 ratio?

Yes, 1:1 is best for sq. Gives a flatter response across the tuning frequency.. Is that what ur looking for??

Tuning is up to you.. what kind of frequencies do u want to hit??

The box I designed has a frequency response from 28 hz to 60 hz.. peaking at 40 hz...

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Yes, 1:1 is best for sq. Gives a flatter response across the tuning frequency.. Is that what ur looking for??

The box I designed has a frequency response from 28 hz to 60 hz.. peaking at 40 hz...

I'm not *exactly* sure what I want. Like I know I want it "loud" and I want it to "sound good", but I don't know what means in quantitative terms, because my loud is probably not your loud. I want the bass nice and punchy, not muddy where the tones all mush together. Basically I want it to play music well, and if there's real low bass in the song it should vibrate you a little.

I'm not *exactly* sure what I want. Like I know I want it "loud" and I want it to "sound good", but I don't know what means in quantitative terms, because my loud is probably not your loud. I want the bass nice and punchy, not muddy where the tones all mush together. Basically I want it to play music well, and if there's real low bass in the song it should vibrate you a little.

Well, if u want "punchy" bass, then I'd recommend going with a sealed enclosure instead of 4th order..

A 4th order is punchier than a ported enclose but not as punchy as sealed...

I went ahead and designed a couple different 4th order enclosures based on max dimensions from the Vic I'm building for(should be closenough to urs.)

Based on size restrictions, and the FI Q18, your output will peak around 50hz not matter size of the chambers.. You'll need a much larger enclosure to achieve a lower peak/response..

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Well, if u want "punchy" bass, then I'd recommend going with a sealed enclosure instead of 4th order..

A 4th order is punchier than a ported enclose but not as punchy as sealed...

I went ahead and designed a couple different 4th order enclosures based on max dimensions from the Vic I'm building for(should be closenough to urs.)

Based on size restrictions, and the FI Q18, your output will peak around 50hz not matter size of the chambers.. You'll need a much larger enclosure to achieve a lower peak/response..

L O. Fucking L

Where did you pull that last part out of? Your ass?

Sorry but no sealed in this car sucks.... Maybe in a tahoe or suv but not in those tanks

You can get it to play super low in that car mainly because you are forced to make the port very long to utilize the rear deck, having a 20" long port creates turbulence period... So does having a turn in the port but trying to say a sealed box will be "punchier" than a properly designed 4th order in THAT car is straight ludacris

No matter what a sealed box in the trunk of that car will sound like shit..... Even ported completely in the truck no whole in the rear deck will sound like shit......

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

Archived