Second Skin Audio

Port width help

Inetba

Been reading a ton of build threads, mostly looking at boxes and builds WAY higher powered than what I'm considering. Seeing things like, "40 sq inches of port per 1000 watts."

Considering I really don't anticipate it being over 145db, and looking at lots of 150+ db boxes, I am WAY overthinking all of this.

I'm considering 2 layers​ of .75" Baltic birch for the baffle, and 1 inch Baltic birch for the rest of the box.

Alright last update for the night. Modified the port a little, added a thicker baffle, moved stuff around. Added bracing. Yes the thingy is going through the port. Maybe not ideal, but probably necessary. Also, There's about 3" of clearance between the end of the sub and the brace.

YGbQQG4l.png

If you can't read the torres, here's a link to a bigger picture. http://i.imgur.com/YGbQQG4.png

Edit: Should have an F3 around 20hz. Goal was 22hz so I'm pretty happy with that. Also, once I'm done having fun pushing massive amounts of air around, I can shorten the port to increase the tuning.

Awesome! That's what I love to hear! Sounds like the box is finally shaping up.

So right now I have a 4 ohm dual voice coil 615 attached to an M1d @ 2 ohms in my custom 4cft box and I just can't wait 3 months for moar powah so when the local audio shop opens I'm going to see if they have any 2 ohm dual voice coil 715s laying around so I can at least use my M1d to its potential.

After that I'm sure I'll be satisfied for a couple months while I save up for wood/tools/this monster SP4.

I plan on first building a cage out of 2x4s to see if the box will actually fit, then building the box, then buying the woofer and resining the outside seams of the box while I wait for it to be built. This is going to rule! Thank you for all your help!

Have you ever thought of making like, "designed by Joe X" stickers for people to put on their cars? Maybe like, "Designed by Joe X. Steve Meade designs.com" Or maybe a wooden plaque that people can stick on the box. SOMETHING to get your name out there. Drum up some side business selling box designs.

By the way, it says if I make the port 4" long it would be tuned at 50hz. Is there even a point to a port that short?

Since the woofer itself has a mounting depth of 12 inches, would it cause issues with unloading?

I've seen SPL vehicles (20,000+ watts) where it looked like they didn't even HAVE. A port. It was basically just the thickness of the baffle was the port.

There is no point tuning that high except in a burp box, these boxes operate at a single frequency which is close to tuning so the driver is always loaded by the port, notice though that while ports get shorter the higher you tune, port area will need to be increased to keep airspeed in check so your port length may not be 4" after all.

Archived