Second Skin Audio

Frank H

My car is a Scion XB (you know, the cube shaped thing) with the trunk junk all taken out, so there is basically an empty tub lined with sound deadener.

My plan is to build the box tall and keep it to the passenger side using up the whole trunk front to back but less than half side to side. Make sense? This is to keep the left side for battery, amps and wiring.

As I have it right now with a temporary box, it is sub facing driver side, port up along the back window. Sounds awesome! I tried sub up/port back and it sounds about the same, but I have to have the seat folded down with this box because the port is too close to the trunk door and sounds like crap with the seat upright.

I want to build a new box with a bit more net volume and the only room I have is to build up. If I go 24h x 18w x 19d (24 being height) would this cause any problems? I only ask because I remember reading that tall boxes are a no-no, but cant remember why.

The woofer would still be below the seat and window line but just by about an inch.

Another question I have is would having the sub up/port up be OK? Right now its sub sideways/port up. I would keep the port in the same spot, facing up right along the rear window. Ill snap a pic and post it to the next post to give you an idea.

Scion xB
Singer 275
Big 3 OFC 1/0
Kenwood ddx492
Alpine 4ch f600 - Alpine components

SoundQubed 4500 - Sundown Audio X12

http://s359.photobucket.com/user/frankhinojos/library/?sort=3&page=1

cant figure out how to embed pictures. Keep in mind that is a temporary setup with the tie down strap! haha

Scion xB
Singer 275
Big 3 OFC 1/0
Kenwood ddx492

Tall boxes are fine.

Maybe what I read was where the woofers were too high/close to the roof. Mine will have plenty of room to the roof.. over a foot.

Scion xB
Singer 275
Big 3 OFC 1/0
Kenwood ddx492

Any comments on the sub up/port up config?

I have built 3 boxes for this woofer (its an X12 by the way) and the first one is the one I am still using. I want to get the next one right. Other 2 were port back and much wider but just didnt tickle my ears or move my beard like this one does.

Scion xB
Singer 275
Big 3 OFC 1/0
Kenwood ddx492

Archived