Jump to content

Afrakes' 04 Blazer Build: UPDATE 2/18


Recommended Posts

Posted

Well, made it out to the garage for about an hour last night after I put the kiddo to sleep. Started assembling what I had already cut, and realized there must have been a very slight angle to my skil saw blade for my first few cuts, because everything measures right but when put toghther nothing sits flush. So I have some recurring to do, luckily it was only the smaller boards so I should have enough material for a double baffle still.

Hitting it hard either tomorrow or Friday and hopefully getting it all cut/assembled. Quick question though, how do you guys go about painting your port? It's gunna be 12.5x5ishx28ish deep. Was thinking it would be easier to paint port pieces before I assemble them? Seems hard to get a can of spray paint on evenly after the box has gone together. Idk though.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Posted

Got a full 8 hours in wiring the truck today. Was supposed to have a buddy come help me but he had some stuff come up, pretty frustrated with myself over the lack of progress I made. Pics are uploading right now but plan was to do the big 3, wire up my volt meter and pac lc1, and run amp wires. Then get some box progress made. I got my power wire from alt to battery upgraded, power wires run to back, pac and voltmeter wired. And that's it. Not very happy. Buddy is coming by tomorrow with a tap so I can do my battery/engine/amp grounds. Happy with the looks of things so far though, goal is still to have bass by Thursday night. Box definitely won't be painted/totally finished though. Pics comin shortly.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Posted

Good day to get some work done in Seattle

94862D0B-5297-4A70-940A-CDFD2B5B3B62_zps

God some of those bolts were ridiculously stuck. Love me some wd-40

18039A37-C265-4DD9-A431-DBBFA14FC90F_zps

Front seats out

0AAEF0E0-1515-4DAB-8550-57EAB54C1445_zps

Console out and vacuumed

F64F7664-AA5F-45B8-8590-11A5ED3E70DD_zps

Swapped my old rcas for some knukonceptz rcas from head unit to pac, used old rcas for pac to amp until I can upgrade those as well. Also ran a new turn on wire with some 18ga cca from sky high.

493A2820-E49A-4056-9F58-BBF0E597918B_zps

anddddd run to the back

58AC3A87-89B3-4C99-9D42-002566FF4C93_zps

I don't get to do installs all that often, so I love the look of a good audio workbench.

724DF4CD-7364-40CD-929C-90975A938143_zps

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Posted

Moved these two stock bundles of split loom up higher using zip ties to create a flat area for my power wire to run across so I could make the run look better. 5 mins and 2 zip ties.

DF8B9C8F-F32E-4D50-A014-08CFF78CEB0C_zps

Power wire to the back up to fuse holder, upgraded batt to alt wire, checkered flag tech flex and heat shrink to seal it all off, all set screw terminals.

6347CD0A-3C5E-446B-AAF8-27B150675FB9_zps

If anybody has trouble getting a snap grommet into a firewall hole, I find a wooden dowel and a hammer gets it in there just fine.

E17B263C-8486-494C-8756-88508D42EEDB_zps

Love when a build starts to look like it did in my mind.

75FF8910-9F15-4A38-874A-7D7876FBC1CF_zps

Power wire run to the back

D9AE0913-F010-4CF9-80B4-31AA18674964_zps

Volt meter location/wire ran, it's a pos, but will get me by until I can get a vm1. Don't like that it's always on, not worried about my battery draining, just not a fan.

02F04AAC-840D-4888-A6FD-237BA4C7AC0A_zps

Ground for meter sanded and tapped after.

1BB25009-D466-4890-B31F-B5145994D8BB_zps

That's all for now. Should hopefully be able to do grounds tomorrow. And maybe get some box work done.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Posted

So a lot has been happening. I'm sure some of you saw my thread regarding my electrical issues, long story short, did my big 3 and my battery died. I thought that I must have done something to cause it so of course I pulled just about everything, made sure my connections were good, even pulled both my batt and my alt and got them bench tested. The battery showed to have 50% capacitance, wouldn't hold more than an 80% charge, and was only putting out around 550 ccas as compared to its rated 725. The alt tested fine.

So I made the upgrade to a diehard premium gold agm. Group 78 was the only size I found with side posts that I could get in agm in my price range locally. Problem solved. Reconnected everything and voltage with car off is holding steady at 12.6-12.8 and with car on 14.4-14.6.

5F18A5A3-E8AD-4F93-9F4D-A8F1213F15DA_zps

So the new game plan is to have this box completed/primed by Friday so I can enter SOTM. At this point my amp/electrical is plug and play so the box is my last step. Lots of routing/sanding to come. I'm a tad disappointed in the size I got out of this box, it's 4.25 cubes before displacements but between the port/sub/bracing I think I'm going to be netting closer to 3 cubes even. But I would rather sacrifice airspace than port are, made that mistake before and my low end was lacking, to say the least. I may upgrade to a 2k amp down the road to compensate for the box being smaller than I wanted.

Couple more pics, battery and engine grounds landed, paint came after this.

D74E9C13-45AE-4891-9976-710D9AFB7BC1_zps

More to come, the wife is going out of town with the baby to see the grandparents Tuesday-Friday so I get time to get this thing knocked out. Many pics/updates to come!!

Stay tuned!

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Posted

Finally got to get some work in today. Much more to come later tonight as I have more time after I complete my daily errands. But got the port configured/cut, baffles cut, and the first part of the box glued/screwed. Borrowing a router this afternoon so I can round my edges inside before I assemble the rest of the box permanently. And to cut/recess my subwoofer mounting hole.

Some pics of the finished under hood electrical with the new battery installed

8DE567ED-6310-46C9-BA4F-5A667CA787CF_zps

47CF3869-F808-4C40-93CE-FBA649D985CD_zps

Grounds drilled/tapped/sanded then landed/primed.

C0DCCEB3-7E16-473E-90D9-5A59EAD9100E_zps

And first bit of box glued

D33576F0-4495-4421-BBEE-58780A75ED8F_zps

More work to be done later tonight. Also meeting up with snowdrifter this evening to dd1/tune my amp. Hoping to have bass by tomorrow!

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Posted

Got a router borrowed and all my inner edges rounded with a 3/8" bit.

8C5D5124-11D6-4BF9-AD68-E3615CDF5537_zps

E4DEBDE6-2A02-47E5-BCA3-570741DE2583_zps

Ended up making my port 12 3/8 x 3.5 and 27 3/4, to both save airspace and lower tuning without putting a bend in the port. Everything is glued here besides the baffles.

7B5F566C-45E9-4415-8900-84ACE09189C8_zps

E4DEBDE6-2A02-47E5-BCA3-570741DE2583_zps

E513650E-3DD5-4BFD-A295-D64403A9929A_zps

4A052CCF-028C-4380-AE59-78A5E32D0785_zps

The caulk/filler is drying right now, going back to the garage Ina bit to do some sanding as well as glue/screw my baffles on.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Posted

Looking good bro,keep the pics.coming....

Thanks man, I appreciate the love. More pics coming in a few. Nothing too exciting but time spent.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Posted

Well, guess I only took one more pic tonight. Got both baffles glued/screwed. Flush trimmed them with this plunge router, I really need to pick one up for myself. Got my sub cutout marked/measured. Also sanded the entire outside of box. Needs one more run over with a fine grit but everything is even enough for me. Gunna be bed lined eventually so minor blemishes will be hidden by the texture.

Tomorrow is cutting out the hole for the sub, caulking the rest of the inside of box, sanding baffles, mounting terminal bolts, measuring/cutting 8gaufe for sub speaker wire. Other misc bullshit. Should have her testable before I go to work tomorrow night. Need to get a few coats of primer on as well before Friday night.

The one and only pick from the last 3+ hours of sanding. God I'm excited.

*photobucket is being slow so I will edit with pic in the morning. Don't feel like typing this out again lol

Edit

C2D701D8-8843-4A4C-87FD-027CB6C8515E_zps

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 949 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...