Second Skin Audio

Need Help Deciding

Joustyn

I am planning on adding sub(s) to my car, but I am having trouble deciding which one would fit best for my goals. I want something that can handle the low tones of rap well without sounding too muddy when listening to rock or something similar.

I'm not looking to spend too much, either. I am trying to keep the total cost to around $600 which leaves about $150 for the sub.

I have almost narrowed it down. Right now, the biggest contenders are the Sundown Ev2 12(seems to be out of stock except for B Stock), SoundQubed HDS 212, and the Dayton Reference HO. Since I don't have any personal experience with subs and no local shops to go to listen to them, I don't know what kind of sound or output to expect from them. I am mostly concerned with quality over output, but I would like to have enough bass should I feel like cranking it up a bit.

My space restrictions are 33W-14H-14D as I would like to keep some of my trunk space. I want a ported enclosure, and I have a local shop that will build and tune one for me. Which sub would provide the greatest sound quality with good output, and what size is optimal for a ported enclosure in the space I have.

Thanks in advance for your help.

the box size depends on what sub you choose but.... ported you can look between 1.25-2.5cufu per 12" sub..... the amount of power you plan on using will change the box volume for any given sub... for a daily driver build I choose 32hz tunes, my dc audio lvl 3 12" is on 1200rms with a 1.75cuft @ 32hz.... my setup is not painfully loud but plays everything I listen too and did satisfy my goal... space restrictions were my limiting factor.... you have plenty of room for any 12" sub in a ported box "3.5cuft" on the small side for a 15" with more info on what you really expect and goals somebody will chime in and help you with your final product brands are a matter of taste so that is something to choose for yourself

I plan to give rated power to whichever sub I buy, but I don't have any personal experience with them. I have never had subs in my car, and no local shop has any set up for demo.

Will there be any significant difference between the subs listed, or is it really just brand preference?

I am not looking to flex my windows or shake the car next to me, but I would like for the sub to be loud in my car. What can I reasonably expect from any of these 12 inch subs in a ported enclosure?

Archived