Head unit clipping

Ok, so a few months ago I posted a thread about a problem I was having with the Eclipse 8443 head unit and Crossfire CFA 302 amp. At higher volume (64 out of 80) the volume kept cutting in and out. I thought it was a power issue with the amp.

Well today while playing the Rockford Fosgate RFX 8140, connected to a Crossfire CFQ-20X EQ/Crossover and the Crossfire CFA 302. I noticed the same thing. At volume 27 out of 38, the volume kept cutting in and out, the output than became low and distorted. I would play the next song and it would play but start again- fading in and out.

I switched out the EQ with an LA Sound LEQ 1026 EQ. The input voltage was set at 2.5V, and the output was set at 2.6V. Same thing again with the outputs. This time I noticed the red LED clip indicator on the EQ was now flashing. OK, maybe it's the head units?? (Since the Crossfire EQ was longer, sitting on the arm rest, I could not tell if the clip indicator was on because of the sunlight). I disconnected the La sound EQ and switched out the amp for an identical CFA 302 and same thing. No EQ, just head unit to amp, same thing again. lol.

I switched the amp out again with a Crossfire VR402. Same thing happened. It has to be the head units!

I think both RCA outputs are going bad. The RFX 8140 should be 8.5V not 4.27V, and the Eclipse 8443 is doing the same thing.

I had good luck with the Kenwood X990, Eclipse 5441, and Alpine 9784 I purchased used but it's luck of the draw I guess.

Do my symptoms point to the RCA Voltage outputs? I know with the 1K and 50 hz test tones, the waves is constant, but with music the voltage fluctuates and I think that is what is going on here.

*On all the amps I tried, I kept the gain knob at about 2, from 1-10, so barely even cracked open so it's not the input gain knob.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Frank

Archived