Name: Ford F350 (2002)

Date Added: ÚTE_ADDED%

Owner: synergyperf

Short Description: This is my work truck.. I keep it around for when there's heavy work to be done. Since I tend to run the highways with it, the electronics needed upgraded.

image_url-143438-1445010161_thumb.jpg

View Vehicle

Cheap, Fast (or loud), Reliable... Pick 2!

I'm trying to get the information compiled from an old build thread to post it here. But for now, a link to it will have to do. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1008216-finally-got-started-on-my-stereo.html

NOTE: This is information pulled from the original build thread on another forum. The system has been finished and playing for several years. Other than tweaking the processor settings it's pretty trouble free. I did realize after going through all these posts, that I never did get around to doing Big3 upgrade on the truck.. I think I was waiting to see if I could find the factory dual alternator setup. Since I don't plan on that anymore, I guess I need to get that done. I don't drive this truck very much.. only put 45k miles on it in 6 1/2 years. Now it's even less per year since I drive the RSX everyday.

I've been gathering up equipment for my truck for the past few months. I got some time off work and got a wild hair to get some of the install done. The truck is my 2002 F350 XLT SRW 4x4 CC LB PSD.
DSC03145.jpg

I'm going to have to name the project something like Rerun, or DejaVu as a majority of the gear is older generations of product. The MBQuart components are from back in the day when they were still German. The Rockford Fosgate amps have long been discontinued. The only current pieces are the woofer (I was going to use some old RF 12's but got a deal on the Boston), Rockford Fosgate processor, and Kenwood Headunit.
Here's the woofer Boston SPG555 with a 2ohm coil:
DSC03595.jpg

So i started by installing some Dynamat Extreme
DSC03589.jpg
DSC03588.jpg

I ran a 0 ga main power cable to the rear as well as the 6 channels of RCA. I also ran AudioQuest Flex 4 (16/4) into the doors to prepare for the component install. blurry pic...lol.
DSC03590.jpg
DSC03591.jpg

The rear speakers were removed completely and the plan is to build speaker mounting plates on the lower portion of the rear doors to mount the 6.5" driver. I plan on vinyl wrapping them and may even incorporate the 'superduty' logo into the vinyl (like the tailgates on later model SD).
Basically, replace the 'dimpled' section with a speaker panel.
DSC03596.jpg

Removed the center 20% seat and console in order to fit the sub enclosure. I plan on building a top section that will have cupholders, storage, and possibly a place to hold my phone and the Edge Evolution CS programmer. Here's a pic of the raw enclosure..it's 2.1 cubic ft PORTED! The port will down fire just behind the front seats with the woofer downfiring just above the transmission 'hump'. Again, this is just the raw enclosure it will get trimmed out nicely to better fit in with the interior. I have to thank my buddy Danny M for the assist on the box.
DSC03592.jpg
DSC03597.jpg

The system will consist of the following components:
Kenwood DDX-814 headunit
Rockford Fosgate Three Sixty.2 processor
2- Rockford Fosgate Power 551x 4ch amplifiers (components)
1- Rockford Fosgate Power 551s 2ch amplifier (sub)
1- Boston Acoustic SPG555 Oval Subwoofer
2- 1 farad capacitors
mix of Monster Cable, Audioquest, Tsunami and Stinger wires, cables, and power distribution.
3- bulk kits of Dynamat Extreme (so far)
OK, I got my distribution block in yesterday and found out that the manufacturer's description is incorrect... It does NOT have 4ga outputs. I gotta get a different setup on the way, but I did spend a few minutes laying out the 'amp rack'. Can't decide which layout I like better, amps split or grouped to one side. If they are split I hope to fit the distribution below the RF cap. If they are grouped on one end, I can put all distribution and the cap on the other end. I like the aesthetics of the split setup, but functionally the grouped setup would be better (and give me way more room to mount everything).

split
DSC03638.jpg

grouped
DSC03642.jpg
551x #1 will power a set of MB Quart 6.5" components (biamplified configuration) and a set of MB Quart add on tweeters (I like my music BRIGHT!). 6.5" will be in the door, both tweeters mounted on far corners of the dash in a fabricated mount.

551X #2 will power a set of 6.5" MB Quart components (biamplified configuration) in the rear doors.

551x #3 will be bridged to a 2 channel and run the 8" Kenwood Shallows in the front doors

551s will be bridged to the SPG555 Woofer (2 ohm coil).
spent a little bit laying out the amprack. drilled all the holes for wiring and marked some other areas to be cut out. Just gonna wrap this in black trunkliner since it will match the material that Ford put on the back cabwall.

synergywork015.jpg

all cutouts and holes made
IMG_1017.jpg
1/2 aluminum angle. these are setup along the mounting feet of the amps. eack amp now also braces the amp rack along with the angle AL.
IMG_1019.jpg
front view after carpet
IMG_1020.jpg
rear view after carpet.. not bad for freehand cutting IMO.
IMG_1021.jpg
starting to layout the heavy gauge
IMG_1022.jpg
the front side...kinda
IMG_1023.jpg

f350stereo005.jpg
closest end
f350stereo006.jpg
middle section
f350stereo007.jpg
f350stereo008.jpg

Speaker wire is AudioQuest Flex4 which does complicate the install as it's a 4 conductor cable. It does allow labeling with a Sharpie though! I used the barrier strips to facilitate any maintenance or repairs. Plus I don't have to try and wire each speaker directly to whichever amplifier it's connected. I've still got 2 cables to string on this rack before it's "done". Also, I realized I miscounted the number of runs I needed front to back in the truck.

Next steps are to build my door panel sections and get the doors sound deadened.

Pulled a late night and got the sub enclosure covered (carpet for now), wired, and bolted in. Also, got the head unit installed. After using it for a few days now, I think I'm going to remove the RF Three Sixty.2 from the system. It is kind of redundant considering the level of adjustability the DDX814 already has included (which I have to admit, I was not aware of). More pics for your viewing pleasure.
Picture109.jpg
Picture111.jpg
head unit wiring
Picture110.jpg
in the dash
Picture112.jpg
close up
Picture.jpg

now we're gettin' somewhere! got the tweeter 'pods' made. basically, just 1/4" MDF cut to fit in the far corners of the dash firing off the windshield. Made 2 of them, clamped them back to back, drilled the holes through them, then drilled a hole perpendicular to the big hole. I centered the drill bit on the 'seam' between the 2 pieces, which made a nice little valley for the wires to tuck into. A little black rattle can, some spray glue and grille cloth and here's what I wound up with. These should rip your face off if you want... considering each will have it's own channel of a 551x!

you can also see the rear door speaker 'plate' just above the tweeter pods.
f350stereo005-1.jpg
f350stereo006-1.jpg
f350stereo007-1.jpg
f350stereo008-1.jpg
f350stereo009.jpg

Probably too many pics of the door pods during construction. I actually made enough panels to make 3 so I'd have a template to build a replacement if one was damaged or whatever. blahblah.gif

The raw panels. Basically, just made cardboard templates and then transferred them to wood. Then I took the wood and used a flush trim bit on a router to make copies.
DSC03791.jpg

Then I cut spacers to make the proper depth needed to clear the speaker without protruding any farther than the stock pocket on the door.
DSC03793.jpg
DSC03790.jpg
DSC03783.jpg
DSC03784.jpg

My low-tech clamping system! LOL
DSC03792.jpg
a pic showing how close the clearance is on the backside of the woofer. I decided to cut a relief in that panel since it will be sealed with another piece anyway.
DSC03786.jpg

A little stretching and pulling of some trunkliner and this is the shape they made.
DSC03801.jpg
DSC03794.jpg
A couple shots with the speaker set in (not mounted obviously).
DSC03797.jpg
DSC03796.jpg

After saturating the trunkliner with resin it's time to reinforce the sides (that's why the back is cut out so much.) I had some raw Carbon Fiber laying around so I decided to use that for the reinforcement. Here's what I had when I started this morning...I'll have some more tomorrow. The pods are sitting at the shop curing overnight now.
DSC03802.jpg

more pics of the door panels. I ran out of the 'good' glue so I only got 1 finished.
doorpods2152012005.jpg
sanding....
DSC03806.jpg
smoothing
DSC03808.jpg
DSC03809.jpg
wrapping
doorpods2152012009.jpg
doorpods2152012008.jpg
doorpods2152012006.jpg
doorpods2152012007.jpg

Getting closer to being done.. one day it will actually make music! LOL.

Spent a couple late nights and made some progress. Got the doors Dynamatted, door pods/panels installed, and speakers all wired. All that's left is moving the 0ga power wire (it's causing the carpet to ripple and rub on the DS 8" trim ring) and actually connecting the amplifier 'rack'.
doorpods352012002.jpg
doorpods352012001.jpg

Here's how they fit with the door closed
doorpods352012003.jpg

amps are in. had to re-run the 0ga under the truck so the carpet would lay down and not rub the 8" in the DS front door. I guess working so late at night I got some channels wired wrong, so I have some troubleshooting to do before I can go and setup all the gains and eq. Once that is done, I'll put the endcaps on all the amps to clean it all up. Also, I have to find an old RF amp to rob the light from for the logo that's missing. Almost done...
gunstuff015.jpg

This is the end of the building.. this system has been finished and playing for a couple years now. All I do is enjoy it while trying to find the time/motivation to re-cover the front door enclosures.. LOL.

Archived