Second Skin Audio

help to design a box for 2x 15'' SSA XCON :)

more peaky,can you explain me that one? i can go a little higher like 23 or 24 max,and maybe 30 in depth...

with those number that are currently in,will it work to put the port in the bottom of the box? im thinking about the port going up toching the bottom of the sub motor...

As you increase the size of a ported enclosure, you get more output, but only around the tuning frequency, it doesn't get equally louder at across the whole frequency range. Depending on how severely this happens you can end up with peaky response. A peaky box will hit really hard on certain notes, but then its like its not even there on others. Some people like they way that sounds, others don't. I can't stand it personally.

Here is graph that shows what I mean:

zyfX03S.png

The yellow and green lines represent boxes of different sizes but both using the same subs and tuned to the same frequency. The yellow box is a lot larger and gets louder but only between about 25-50 Hz.

The screenshot from Torres you linked show over 11 cubes net airspace, that's WAY too much. If your box is too big you run the risk of damaging your subs due to over excursion.

Putting the port along the bottom of the box, like what was shown in your first facebook link, is certainly possible but you aren't going to want it to be the full width of the box because it will be too wide and not tall enough, this makes it inefficient (its called having a high aspect ratio).

The second facebook link is for a bandpass box, which is a whole different topic. Having an interchangable port can be a tough thing to implement. If you want to go down that route I'd suggest using multiple smaller ports and then blocking some of the off for daily listening.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

thanks for the reply dude!!! i have a lot of thing i wanna try...like kerfing....a sloted box with the kerf ported is in my mind too...i know how to do them,and basiclly it`s the same mounting inside as the regular straight lined port....

i know what you talk about the peaking thing...i think the box that i have right now is king of that...it peak really good around 36-44 in score,but higher than 50,their seems to be no bass at all...almost nothing lol

ill do some other math test about it and throw them here...we'll see what i can come up with ;)

and sorry for my bad english,it's not my first language,but i think there worst than me lol

2x SSA XCON 15''

2 basworx 3000.1d

1 kinetik 1800 & exide 85amph

skyhigh 1/0 all-around

Grimreaper spl team co-president

Glad I could help.

No worries about your English man, I'm not having any trouble understanding you, which is more than I can say for some native English speakers I've seen post on here.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

here is the last one i come up with...i think its the best i can do with what i have

[/url]">http://mini_229994sdddd.jpg

but my question now :is there a difference between having the port like the re audio is showing or like i show you at the bottom? will there be some port noise difference one vs other?

2x SSA XCON 15''

2 basworx 3000.1d

skyhigh 1/0 all-around

[/url]">http://mini_700738sss.jpg

after checking eveything,i think ill go with that,it`s the best i can do,and ill be able to fit the 2 15'' and still brace between them...

ill do a sketchup shot before getting done :)

2x SSA XCON 15''

2 basworx 3000.1d

skyhigh 1/0 all-around

i have done a new one,with multiple possibilities...

this one will have an external port of 16'' to make it tuned to 28hz,with the internal port of 20''

[/url]">http://469415391.jpg

this one is without the external port,but still have the internal port...tuned to 34hz

[/url]">http://592632242.jpg

this one is a tricky one....the thing is that if i remove the internal port,that thing would be tuned to 55hz....kind of perfect to me for spl comp...now it's how to do it that will be a challenge :) im thinking about a box with sub and port firing up,with the port between the sub...what do you think of that?

[/url]">http://332226683.jpg

2x SSA XCON 15''

2 basworx 3000.1d

skyhigh 1/0 all-around

Any of those will probably be fine, I just be careful not to go over 8 cf of net airspace. Keep your port area around 120 sq in and tuning around 30 Hz and you will be fine.

Builds:

Archived