Playing with the EQ <<Crossfire CFQ-20X>>

So I installed a simple stereo in the Jimmy so I can drive it around while I do repairs on the Bimmer. She needs the right rear bearing replaced again. I really wanted to use what I had on hand and do a "less power" set up, like I had when I first got into car audio. A "K.I.S.S." sort of thing.

So here is the simple and rather cheap set up so I will post the cost.

I do have a question about using the EQ which I will get to shortly.

I am amazed at the sound from the 2 amps rated at 75 x 2. The sub amp is 300 x 1.

Rockford Fosgate RFX-8140

Infinity Perfect 6.1. Paid $47 for the mids and crossovers. I had Infinity Reference 1001T tweeters from the Bimmer's prior owner.

A-Pillar mounted pointed just in front of the rear view mirror. I used crazy glue, and made the same mistake Gckless made when aiming. I do have an extra set of tweeter mounts if I want to locate the tweets and aim them further back- like aiming in between the seats.

IMAG2034_zpskugoi5w5.jpg

I wanted to use the Kicker's Free-Airs with the enclosure it came with. $45 Tuned to 42 Hz.

I'm using the Crossfire CFA302's and CFQ-20X Crossover/20 band EQ combo. About $180 in all 3 pieces.

IMAG2044_zpskt3mwwdr.jpg

I know when you EQ, you're tuning to your environment at hand. I read about cutting and boosting. Having all these frequencies is making it hard to decide how to cut and boost. I tried to take the best pics showing the cut/boost, and narrowing in some of the bands. I gave myself a cheat sheet to keep me focused as I tune.

VIDEO0594_0000103307_zpsxlexhm3g.jpg

IMAG2041_zpssuht7ylq.jpg

When playing Rise Against at volume 30 of 38, the vocals are clear, the guitars are ripping, and snare and cymbals are sharp and sweet. When I play Pink, she sounds a tiny bit lispy with certain words. So my question is, who do I tune to?? A male voice of a female voice? Also, I still feel there are a few frequencies missing. Maybe it's the tweets mounted so high. There is just a gap. Not noticed when Rise Against breaks and plays acapella. Than it just sounds CLEAR as hell. And the cymbals are so close and subtle , you want to just reach out and grab them. lol. I keep saying "Damn!"

The crossover has sliding cutoffs to choose from. 85 Hz for the highs, and 100 Hz.for the lows. I may have to cut the bass to 80 Hz. since the bass has great presence, and a firm "kick" that kicks the back of my seat!

I'm using an excerpt from "Magic Frequencies" as a guide.

http://www.digitalprosound.com/2002/03_mar/tutorials/mixing_excerpt1.htm

As frustrating as you are at reading all of this, that's how frustrated I am starting to get tweaking the EQ. lol.

Any info on what to listen to while tuning would be greatly appreciated.

-Frank

Anyone?? I just listened to Justin Bieber's "What do you mean". Sounds alittle lispy as well. I've been reading this is part of the "sibilance" around 6K and above, but it's the same band the offers vocal presence. I have 5K and 7.5K to work with. Maybe try and take it down both or just the 7.5k a 1mm and see if it sounds better. Just have to wait for it to play again. Or, just turn the volume down 1-2 clicks to avoid that peak. Do you guys vary your volume levels to avoid these peaks?

-Frank

Archived