vike4511 Posted November 12, 2015 Report Posted November 12, 2015 Hey guys, could anyone help me with a design and port location for a box in the rear of my truck? I have easily 40in across, only 14in deep, and about 20-36 tall. I would like to keep it around the window line. I am not sure whether to do subs up or forward. Should I should do a slot port near the rear window facing up or a square port facing forward between the seats. I have an AQ 3500.1 to run them and I haven't had these nice of subs before. I am looking to just be able to ground and pound and I am not worried about hitting numbers. Any help would be great. Thanks
bman8891 Posted November 13, 2015 Report Posted November 13, 2015 I just recently built a box for 2 xl12's in an extended cab pickup. Did a single 6" aeroport firing at the side and subs facing forward. 2.9 cubes net. Sounds much better than the previous box which was sub up port up. You should try to get more port area than I used however.
vike4511 Posted November 17, 2015 Author Report Posted November 17, 2015 I'm still underpowering them for now with the 3500.1. Should I go for more like 3-3.5 net? Also would it be best to have subs and port forward? What's the benefit of aero over slot ports.
bman8891 Posted November 17, 2015 Report Posted November 17, 2015 3-3.5 net is perfect for those subs. Most people with these style boxes do subs up for practical purposes but every vehicle is different you have to decide what's best for your application. As far as aero vs slot ports there's no real difference. Aeros let you get away with a little less port area (9-12 per cube) compared to slots (12-15 per cube) and are more easily adjustable but in theory (2) 6" aeroports and one 7" × 8" slot port tuned the same should be equally efficient. Experienced builders will tell you this rule is flawed because you can never have too much port area but it's a good place to start
vike4511 Posted November 18, 2015 Author Report Posted November 18, 2015 Awesome, thanks for the info.
Subwoofer Stokes Posted November 20, 2015 Report Posted November 20, 2015 My ext cab Chevy is louder with port forward and sub forward than port up and subs up. If I were you I'd try subs up and port forward. <p>Black 1997 Chevy C1500 Ext. Cab5.7L 350 VortecDual 22" Glasspack ExhaustRacing Chip/Programmer.373 Gears W/ Shift KitCold Air IntakePioneer Deh80-PrsSubwoofers-Fi Q motor, 18 6 spoke basket, SPL Audio recone
vike4511 Posted November 24, 2015 Author Report Posted November 24, 2015 Looks like I am going to go subs forward with a slot port on top facing forward. Does anyone know how to design this so I can see if my mock up will work when I get home from vacation. Don't have my computer and haven't designed a box in a long time.
bman8891 Posted November 24, 2015 Report Posted November 24, 2015 Download torres free box calculator on your phone. Its super useful. If you're making a long slot port be mindful of your aspect ratio. In other words more squarish and not a long thin port.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.