New to audio. Building ht ported enclosure.

Yup, you got it.

Usually I put some kind of flare on both the outside and inside ends of the port, if you do the same you will want to account for both with your port length.

What?

My bad, should have been more clear.

Usually on ported designs I put a flare or kerf on the outside of the port, like you are talking about, and on the end of the port inside the box, to improve airflow.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Here is an example:

frkPjl2.jpg

I used a big roundover instead of a kerf bend, but you get the idea.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

Yeah so in the picture I posted, I used a 1" roundover on the outside and inside ends of the port. So I subtracted 1/4" twice from the physical length of the port to get the effective length.

Builds:

Ahh, ok. THAT makes sense. So, if you had a 2" round over on both the inside and outside, you would subtract 1" from the physical length to get your effective length?

Ahh, ok. THAT makes sense. So, if you had a 2" round over on both the inside and outside, you would subtract 1" from the physical length to get your effective length?

Yup, that's right.

Builds:

What are the best ways to increase efficiency and SQ of an enclosure (Ported more specifically)

Well the first thing to realize is at some point efficiency and SQ become conflicting goals and you must sacrifice in one area to gain in the other. The other thing to think about is while efficiency is easy to define and measure, SQ is not and is much more subjective.

To increase the efficiency of a ported box, first you make sure you don't have anything negatively impacting your performance, like airflow issues through the port, panel resonances, etc. Next step is you make the box bigger. Bigger ported boxes are more efficient, but it comes at a cost. You only gain efficiency around your tuning frequency, so if you can end up with less than desirable frequency response. Also, as you make a ported box bigger you increase group delay, which negatively affects sound quality, and you decrease mechanical power handling.

Increasing SQ is a bit tougher, a lot of it comes down to the particular attributes of the sub being used. Better subs have better sound quality and you have to pay to get it. Things you can do to the box include stuff like lining the box with sound absorbing material (like the felt I use) to help eliminate out of band noises. Then it comes down to design choices like what I listed above for increasing efficiency, you are just trying to take things in the other direction.

Builds:

So, generally speaking, when you go towards to one extreme end it conflicts with the other. So, for example, if you have a very efficient sub/box combo, it will not sound as good but if you have a very good sounding combo it may not be as efficient. Again, very general. I know that so many things come into play with all of this and that you usually can't just make an umbrella statement like that.

Archived