New to audio. Building ht ported enclosure.

8 gauge wire will be WAY overkill for what you want to do. 12 gauge wire is good for 25 amperes of current, which at 4 ohms is 2400 watts of power, so even 12 gauge is more than you need. At 4 ohms 8 gauge is good for 10k watts.

A mitered butt joint will work just fine, and will certainly look a lot nicer, but you have to get all your panel cuts EXACTLY right for it to go together like it should. One trick when using mitered butt joints. After everything is glued up you can take a router and cut a 1/8" - 1/4" square rabbet out of the corner of the joint. You then glue a piece of solid wood into the joint and sand it smooth with the sides. This will hide any slight misalignments you have, you can add a roundover to the edge if you wish, and its nearly invisible as long as you use a wood similar to birch.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Ok, so i've done some thinking. What if I make a slot port that is 15" X 3". That should give me an area of 45". That mean my port length should be roughly 46.6". So, doing the center line measuring, I should have (from top to bottom) a board that is (assuming that my enclosure is 18" deep) 15" long, then another 15" and then a 9.85" long. That should give me a total port length of 46.6" (also including the .75 from the baffle). It would kind of look like the picture you posted above but with another board on top of it. Does that sound right? I'll try getting a sketchup design of it but can't atm

The edges of the port panels are rounded over to help air flow smoothly through the port. With a ported box, anything that impedes airflow will reduce efficiency and thus output. You want the air to be able to flow through the port as easily as possible.

45 sq in of port is probably more than you need and is going to result in the port being a lot longer than is practical. Aslo, I'm not sure where you came up with the 46.6" length, but that won't tune you as low as you would like. My suggestion would be to use a port 15" wide and 2.5" tall for 37.5 sq in of port area. The port would need to be 45" long to tune you to 26 Hz.

Here is how you could implement the port dimensions I suggested:

QepwnsD.png

The above is assuming an 18" internal depth and the double baffle on the front. Based on the power you are going to be running, I would suggest using a double baffle to help keep that panel stiff. You can also recess the sub into the first panel if you would like, and that's typically what I do.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

So, to recess the sub, would you just take a router to in the edge and cut about halfway through the first panel? How do you do it? Thank you for you help btw. I really do appreciate it and also thank you for not talking to me like i'm an idiot. I've noticed some people doing that on here.

No prob man, glad I could help! Everyone has to start somewhere. Also, I wouldn't read too much into how other people may come across on here. This place has a certain style, and it may seem a little abrasive to some until you get used to it, but the vast majority of folks here genuinely do just want to help.

Anyway, to recess the sub, just set the router to cut through the first layer of material. So if you have two layers of 3/4" material laminated together for your baffle, just set your router to cut 3/4" deep. I suggest cutting the hole for the recess about 1/8" bigger than the outside diameter of your sub. This gives you some wiggle room in case your finish ends up being a little thicker than you expect. If that cutout ends up being tight around the frame of your sub it can make getting the sub out at a later date VERY difficult.

Builds:

By laminating I basically just mean gluing them together face to face. You want to try to clamp them down as much as possible to get a good glue joint, I usually do it by clamping the pieces down to the top of my table saw.

As far as posting pictures goes, you have to upload your picture to a hosting site like photobucket. I use imgur and its really easy. Just copy and paste the BB code link into your posts.

Builds:

Archived