Jump to content

2014 ford fusion, X15, nendo 2k, xs power


Recommended Posts

Posted

Tuned in. I will be starting my build on my '15 fusion in a few weeks. One thing I have read is that doing the big 3 will conflict with the vehicles smart charging system?

Posted

Tuned in. I will be starting my build on my '15 fusion in a few weeks. One thing I have read is that doing the big 3 will conflict with the vehicles smart charging system?

I have not heard that before, was unaware of a smart charging system. Where did you find this information? I'd like to read up on it.

Posted

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/fabrication-tools-tricks-trade/204714-big3-upgrade-attempt-fail-2014-ford-fusion.html

There is the link. I'm not sure if it is accurate or not, but came across it while trying to find info on the car.

well that is an interesting and upsetting write up. That one guy seems like he knows what hes talking about, but im definitly conflicted now. I wonder how all of that would affect upgrading to an HO alt

Posted

Sorry about the lack of activity lately. Had my wisdom teeth taken out last week, then due to proximity to sinus tracks my sinuses decided to say FU and give me a run around. So my health is finally starting to return to normal. It will be a posting bonanza here soon. I got a front set of components in(not installed yet) and some speaker wire for the subs. Will be buying some speaker wire for the new comp set, will also be purchasing an LC2i. Also might be some more goodies to come soon. So stay posted and things will begin to roll on here shortly.

Posted

Also after much research and the article Mr. M80 shared and further research on a Ford forum and consulting with a ford tech. The smart charging system in this vehicle is quite a pain in the ass and is restrictive. Below I'll add the findings that are preventing me from doing the big 3 and maybe an aftermarket H/O alt (I've wrestled with the idea of doing that upgrade, but this info might prevent me from doing so). I've sent out a couple of quotes to test the water on what it would cost for one, waiting on a reply. Might also try and call them and explain my conundrum of smart charging system :poop: and see if there product could rectify the problem.

Anyways heres the findings (not my write up)

Note a couple of things about your '14 Fusion charging circuits ....

* On the negative battery terminal you have a small gauge Wire in addition to the main ground cable. That goes to a battery monitoring sensor and must be preserved at the battery terminal lest you screw-up the vehicle's 'smart' charging system operation.

* The main positive lead from the battery is routed through a "High Current Battery Junction Box Mega Fuse" before it goes to the starter motor lug and thence to the alternator (with built-in regulator module). No matter what you do to 'upgrade' cables the 'system' is limited by that fuse, as well as by the 'smart' charging system logic which controls alternator output.

* If you bypass any of the OEM modules or fuses you will totally FU how your Car charging system operates. If insistent on doing a "Big 3" you must be sure to follow all of the same circuit paths and connections as the OEM cables between all points (battery>junction box>starter>alternator).

IMHO due to the 'sophisticated' charging system monitoring and logic control devices on late model Fords (maybe other makes), the "Big 3" ain't what it once was for 'simpler' vehicles. IMHO the OEM cables do not limit/control full utilization of your OEM alternator's capabilities.
Posted

Heres some teaser pics of things I've recently received, Better in depth pictures to come.

IMAG0390_zps6lpeutim.jpg

Kinda stoked to get these installed and get the stock shit out

IMAG0391_zps13mnojlp.jpg

And finally some skyhigh goodies

IMAG0393_zpsowj5cofh.jpg

  • 1 month later...
Posted

I never had an issue with the big 3, or putting a Stinger 240A alt in. Charging between 14.8 and 15.0 volts all day.

Only problem I am having is running wire to the mids and highs in the front doors. If you have a solution for that, I am quite interested.

Posted

Hmm I may look in to an HO all then. Also, what a pain the ass to run speaker wire. My solution (far from ideal) was to run through the firewall grommet and around to the doors lol. Here are a few facts about our wonderful doors:

-There are molex plugs with zero available slots to drill through

-There is not enough room between the door and the body to pull the plug out all the way

-Pulling the door off was not an option

-Even if a hole were to be drilled, you can't get to the plug inside the car because there is a metal panel blocking access.

I'm open to suggestions as well but that was the only way I saw to run 14awg cable. I can post pictures when I get on the computer if you'd like.

Posted

I have my 4 Channel in the trunk. I ran my speaker wires (12 AWG) through the wire boot in the floor of the trunk, under the car, up the door well and into an incision I made in the boot. I am very unhappy with it though... Should have got an Altima. haha

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 949 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...