Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Question about Subwoofer set up.


Captain Joe

Recommended Posts

Posted

I am new to this site but have seen many of Steve's build videos on YouTube. I'm curious about what system set up that would probably be best for me. I used to have a kicker L7 15 in a potted box and I liked the fact that it was crazy loud and seemed to hit the lows nice and hard but I felt like sound quality was nearly zero. So I guess my goal is loud but I want very loud and clean deep bass and from what I see I feel like fi could be a good way to go but what would y'all recommend sub, amplifier, and what should my box be tuned to. It will go in an 85 f150 with the back seat completely removed for enough room for the speaker/speakers. I have considered even going with 2 18s although I don't think I have the cubic area to do so and 1 would probably be sufficient. Thank you for any input. Would like to stay under 1,000$ but could go a little more if it was REALLY worth it.

Posted

about tuning from what I have read most people range from 28-35hz..... lower = more SQ higher = spl..... the middle ground tune is 33hz..... everything I build is 32-33hz

with the cabin space you have I would just do a pair of 12" subs and tune to 33hz and make sure you have the right amount of port area.... a pair of 12" subs have more cone area than 1 15" 226.2 vs 176.7 and just under what a single 18" yeilds 254.4 vs 226.2..... 3 x 12" would get you 339.3" of cone area but 2 x 18" blows out this with 509".... I have no experience with any 18" subs so Ill let other say what kind of SQ you can get from those larger subs

Posted

Thank you for the response and i do currently have 4 12"s that came with the truck and I could run 4 12s and have room for the boxes (would have to get 2 without going custom I'm assuming) but there r 3 kicker subs 2 r new 1 is old school and then an elemental design and I just don't feel like those would be anywhere near the quality I want even if they would be very loud.

Posted

2 FI SSD 12's and a Twisted Sounds 1.8k. Right around a $1k and super clean depending on box of course.

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander
Sony 712

Soundqubed HDS208

Alpine MRV-M500

Transmission line enclosure

Soundqubed wiring

Knu rca

XS Power battery

CNF terminals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 519 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...