Second Skin Audio

Help with Kicker sub

jdecker

I've been out of car audio for 20+ years, now (finally) my son has decided it's something he would like to get in to. I told him we could do much better than all his friends who are running prefab Bestbuy enclosures if we built our own. Well it turns out I may have forgotten more than I thought!

He purchased a Kicker CompS 15" 2 ohm woofer and my plan was to build a simple sealed enclosure and throw it in the trunk, but the more we read I think he would be happier with a ported set up. My plan is to build a ported enclosure and seal it to the interior of the car, however I've downloaded a few of the free enclosure programs and I'm getting wildly different results or ridiculously small port suggestions. He has an 04 Pontiac Bonneville so there is plenty of room to go as big as 4.5 to 5 ft^3 but would like to stay around 3.5-4 if at all possible.

Any help would be appreciated and in the mean time I'll keep reading and researching, Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. When I do the square port do I need to round the edges or do I just leave them square? Also, how much room should I allow behind the port?

I would put atleast a half inch round over on the port, both inside and out. the bigger the better. Room behind the port should atleast equal or be more than the actual width of the port, for example. if you have a 3" by 16" port make sure the port is atleast 3" away from the rear wall if it cant be then put a 90 degree angle in it and continue the port along the rear wall as well.

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

Archived