Jump to content

Volume Control and best sound for tablet install, help please


Recommended Posts

Posted

Ok guys, I have an idea of what I want to do, but I need to see what you all think.

Goals: Best Sound quality possible from tablet to processor (for now). A knob to control volume.

Ok so here's where I'm at. For now, I'm looking to get from my tablet to my processor with the best sound quality signal possible and have volume controls.

What's in the system plan: Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 - Octava HDMI Distribution Splitter/Amplifier - Denon DSV-1 (volume meter) - Sure Electronics Digital Volume Controller - Ampere Audio JM-1 Processor

So first things first, I know the question is going to be, why not use the remote for the processor. Well, at the sake of being negative and not wanting to be, while I love all the designs that have come out of Ampere Audio thus far, the remote has not been the best one. I'm pretty particular about remotes. It's push button instead of knob, and it's really not good looking. I don't like it.

Secondly, I'm sure it'll be asked, why not just control volume from the tablet. Well there are a few apps out there that I can do that on screen with, but think about the fact that I'll be in a truck that's bouncy, plus it'll take up screen room being on screen, and again, it's not a knob. So that's out.

Let's go over the set up idea and lets see what everyone thinks

1. Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 tablet

2. Signal out - usb port via an HDMI adapter cable. This allows for charging as well as an HDMI digital signal out. (I've tested this and it works.)

3. HDMI Signal Conversion - Octava HDMI Distribution Splitter/Amplifier (HDMI input - 2 x HDMI output - Optical Toslink Output - Analog RCA Output)

NOTE: I would love to use the Optical Toslink output straight to the JM-1, however, I don't know of a budget friendly way of controlling the volume through optical toslink, nor do I think it's even possible. So i will have to utilize the Analog output from the Octava unit. Another option is to find a quality DAC that has volume control, but I haven't found much that is reasonable in price.

4. RCA Analog Output Volume Control - The RCA output will go into a Sure Electronics Digital Volume Control Board with a digital encoder built in. I'm still testing this, but it should work just fine. This is what it's for. RCA's plug into one side of the board, and then comes out of the other end of the board. The volume controls plug into the board and it has a rotary encoder knob, which also has push to mute. It requires power, but that's not an issue.

5. Volume Metering - From the Volume Control Board output, I'll be going into the Denon DSV-1. It has an rca input and output so there's no splitting or anything to be done before the unit.

6. Processing - From the Denon DSV-1 output I will be plugging directly into the analog input of the Ampere Audio JM-1.

7. Sub control - Sub control will come from the sub knob off of the amplifier.

In theory, this should be a good plan. The only other thing I could do is instead of using the sub knob off of the amplifiers, I could take the sub out of the processor, and go into a second Volume Control Board, for sub volume control, and then into the amp.

The last thought, I have not been able to test it because I don't have the processor yet, but I will send a couple of emails to ask the questions, is if somehow an Ampere Audio Volume Control knob, would control the volume of the JM-1. It's the same plug in. I just don't know that it works like that.

My only concern is all of the breaks between the HDMI unit, and the processor. Obviously everything will be done up with the DD-1 and set properly. This is just a lot for me, and while i think I'm on the right track, sometimes I think I need assurances of that. So I step back and ask you guys.

EDIT: I forgot, another thing I could do is eliminate the HDMI unit all together. I have a Sure Electronics 4.0 Bluetooth Receiver board, and that could eliminate one piece and it would be a bluetooth active device. But everything beyond it would still be there.

Tablet - Bluetooth device - Volume Control Board - Denon Meter - Processor - Amplifiers

So now that I've confused everyone. Does anyone have any input on this?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1171 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...