Sundown Audio

I have done at least 20-30 hours of message board research and haven't been able to get the answer I need.

I have a 1981 CJ7 that I'm trying to get decent bass out of. The amp I have isn't ideal for heavy bass but it's an all time classic. (One of the best ever made in my opinion) I have the old school Alpine MRD-752 amp. This ridiculously awesome amp is a part of my youth... Like the ridiculously awesome CJ7 and swapping it out aint an option. It's part of the nostalgic setup. It is mounted under my fold and tumble rear seat. It's a 5 channel amp that powers my two 6 1/2's in the sound bar and two rear 6x9's in boxes mounted around the roll bar. It has a 5th channel that powers the sub. My birthcard says the 5th channel gets 392 watts RMS which is way over spec. (Very characteristic of this amp)

I really like the DD subs but the Sundown Audio has peaked my interest because of their drastically smaller box sizes that have a much better chance fitting behind my rear seat. (Taking out the rear seat isn't an option) I've never owned a Sundown sub but I'm torn between a ported SA-8 v1.5 D2, a ported SA-8 v3 D2, and a sealed SD3-10

My question:

-Will the 392 watts be a waste of time with the SA-8 v3 or the SD3-10? They are both rated at 500 RMS and I know they could probably use even more juice to work well.

-Would I be better off buying the older version SA-8 V1.5 that is only rated at 400 RMS since it is closer to what my amp will push?

-Will the sealed SD3 be completely lost when I have the top off?

Keep in mind I would run the sub of choice in a custom built box that is down firing. I also have a tonneau cover on when the top is off to keep a small amount of bass from leaking. Not perfect but you take what you can get when you drive a Jeep.

I listen to all kinds of music from rap to rock. My 16 year old son also loves dubstep. I don't need to shake any windows but I want a clean sound I can hear while driving.

Thanks in advance... I'm anxious to hear from anyone who has used these subs with an amp that is slightly under powered. I'm also interested to hear from people who drive topless vehicles.

I had a 79 cj7 for years.... and when I started driving it when I was 16 I kept trying to do a nice system in it and by the time I was 18 I moved the system to another truck and only used the jeep for off road and summer time fun.... with the hardtop off you had no sound... and I had the 304 with headers and cherrybombs dumping right infront of the back tire so you could not hear much anyway.... I could not put speakers in the doors because I had those off alot.... 2 6x9's in rear on the side humps and 2 4x6's on the center hump... talk about no sound stage...all my amps were under every seat in this thing and my sub stage was always garbage with the very small amount of space between the rear seat and tail gate.... share some pics and I sure hope you get it all worked out and happy

I've owned all the Jeeps. CJ, YJ, TJ, and JK. It's tough to get good bass without taking out the back seat. JK's are a little easier because they have more space to work with.

I currently have two 8ohm 10's wired in parallel to speakers rated at 200 watts RMS. They are Fosgate P1's and they make decent noise but the sound quality is crap. I put them there so if somebody stole them I wouldn't care. I bought a new house with a 3rd car garage so it always parked in doors.

I'm hoping one quality 10 or 8 with the tonneau cover will be as loud but with better quality. I'm REALLY curious about the slim mount SD8 or SD10. That box is tiny... But I'm sure it will tough to perform topless without a port.

My expectation is not to match the 12" DD in a 2.5 cf box that takes up half the trunk of my other Car... I just want it to sound decent when I drive.

Edited by backupoffmefoo