Jump to content

Passive xover question .


Cwallaker

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have the passive xovers from my hertz energy set . What effect will connecting 8ohm drivers have on the xover freq,and slope;if any at all?

Posted

If the X-over was designed for 4Ω speakers and you use it with 8Ω speakers the X-over frequency will change for both drivers. For instance a 1st order hi-pass filter for a 4Ω tweet with a X-over frequency of 3kHz would require a 13.25uf cap. If you replace the 4Ω tweet with an 8Ω the X-over frequency would go down to 1.5kHz. If you replaced the 4Ω mid-woofer with an 8Ω the frequency would go up to 6kHz.

2011 Chevy Silverado LT 5.3L 4x4 Ext.-cab

"Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think."

Posted

If the X-over was designed for 4Ω speakers and you use it with 8Ω speakers the X-over frequency will change for both drivers. For instance a 1st order hi-pass filter for a 4Ω tweet with a X-over frequency of 3kHz would require a 13.25uf cap. If you replace the 4Ω tweet with an 8Ω the X-over frequency would go down to 1.5kHz. If you replaced the 4Ω mid-woofer with an 8Ω the frequency would go up to 6kHz.

It's 12 db hi pass ,and 6db low pass x over point is 2500hz . So I guess I wouldn't want to use it on 8ohm tweeters for sure . I run active in my truck ,so I wanted to use these passive's in a 2 way for my garage . Prolly just find some 4ohm speakers . Thanks for the info man!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1090 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...