Second Skin Audio

Maximum Bass for $1000

I actually went to that skating rink in the Straight Outta Compton to see NWA. My mother lives in LA. I saw PE in Columbus.

2000 Toyota Solara SEV6, 200 amp alternator, Jensen VX7020, Hifonics American Warrior Taurus X, Hifonics American Warrior Centurion X, JBL Club 6500C, Power Acoustik XP2K-4102, Coustic Power Logic HT-612 in a BP4.

bandpass06.jpg

The response turned out a lot smoother than predicted. This is fairly normal for tapped horns; hornresp predicts a lot of wiggles and resonances that don't show up in the real world. I gotta brag a little here, you rarely see a horn with response this smooth, particularly since it's undersized.

This measurement was done in the garage; I'll do another one in the car.

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-03-27%2Bat%2B9.15.5

Here's the predicted response.

Your groundplane measurement looks amazing. That's really awesome that it turned out so flat all the way to 150 Hz. Do you have any pics of the finished box?

I'm a little surprised you are getting almost 20 db of cabin gain at 30 Hz, works out well for you though. Looks like you are getting some nasty cancellation though. Are you going to try to rectify that at all?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Your groundplane measurement looks amazing. That's really awesome that it turned out so flat all the way to 150 Hz. Do you have any pics of the finished box?

I'm a little surprised you are getting almost 20 db of cabin gain at 30 Hz, works out well for you though. Looks like you are getting some nasty cancellation though. Are you going to try to rectify that at all?

I'll post some pics of the box today.

I was shocked by how flat it measured. By far the flattest horn I've ever built.

The in-car and nearfield responses were overlayed manually. IE, I guessed. I could calculate the difference in SPL using a calculator and a tape measure. But I basically overlayed the graphs at the point where cabin gain starts to kick in, around 80-160hz.

Ideally, I'd calculate it.

It's still not 100% finished; I didn't want to glue on the last panel, in the event I had to make some changes, so I screwed on the last panel and I made a gasket out of Mortite to make it airtight. The sub moves enough air that I think it might blast the mortite right out of the gap.

I actually went to that skating rink in the Straight Outta Compton to see NWA. My mother lives in LA. I saw PE in Columbus.

That wasn't in Reseda was it? I used to go to raves there, in the 90s.

I have no idea. I was visiting my mother at the time while being on break at Bowling Green State University. I heard about the concert on the radio and had her drop me off at the rink. I was only person there in bright BGSU orange. Plus, I don't skate.

2000 Toyota Solara SEV6, 200 amp alternator, Jensen VX7020, Hifonics American Warrior Taurus X, Hifonics American Warrior Centurion X, JBL Club 6500C, Power Acoustik XP2K-4102, Coustic Power Logic HT-612 in a BP4.

Where are the in-car pics???

Where are the in-car pics???

Not quite there. I had it in the car for a week, but took it back out to add an amp to the box. This thing is freaken heavy!

IMG_20160328_054757.jpg

IMG_20160328_054807.jpg

IMG_20160328_054819.jpg

Here's some pics of the box being put together. The white stuff is liquid nails for subfloors, I emptied about two tubes of it into the box. It behaves like dynamat, reducing panel resonances.

Archived