Second Skin Audio

Maximum Bass for $1000

If you've followed any of my audio projects, you know I'm a total cheapskate.

I've generally had the most success when I've copied commercial designs, so I thought I'd spend this evening figuring out how much bass I can generate for $1000. In this thread I'll analyze the performance of three well regarded designs:

danley_TH_mini.gif

The Danley Sound Labs TH-Mini, a tapped horn with a 12" woofer

Growler.jpg
The JTR Growler, a back loaded horn with a 12" woofer

IMG_7969.jpg
The PK Sound CX800, a vented box using dual eighteens

All of my comparisons will assume that we're doing DIY knockoffs of the commercial designs, to keep the cost under $1000. Since the CX800 uses two drivers that cost $800 each, we can only use a single driver. So it will basically be *half* a CX800, versus one of the other two units.

My goal is to figure out which one will make the most SPL for $1000. And this won't be designed to hit one note, I want something with wide enough bandwidth to mate up with some midbasses.

am i missing something here?

first post so how could we have followed audio projects

Patrick is pretty active on some other audio forums. That's probably what he's referring to.

Welcome to SMD Patrick!

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

am i missing something here?

first post so how could we have followed audio projects

Patrick is pretty active on some other audio forums. That's probably what he's referring to.

Welcome to SMD Patrick!

Thanks!

Google said this was the most active SPL forum, so I thought this would be a good place for it. I really like Steve Meade's boxes.

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-03-22%2Bat%2B8.24.3

First up is my 'guesstimate' of the Danley TH-Mini. I made a 'clone' of one of these already (xxx) and I'd say it's the best subwoofer I've ever built. It's quite an easy build; it's a simple tapped horn tuned to 50hz with a 12" woofer. The efficiency on this thing is just comically high; it's about 100dB with ONE WATT. To put that in perspective, the average car audio sub needs about thirty five times more power to hit 100dB!
The thing I liked about my TH-Mini was that the bass was tight and effortless. On the downside, it's so freakishly efficient, it's difficult to 'blend' in with the main speakers, and it doesn't play very low. It would be interesting to make a variant on this that sacrificed some efficiency for low-frequency output.

The graph above illustrates the output with one watt into an eight ohm load. (2.83V)

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-03-22%2Bat%2B8.24.4
Screen%2BShot%2B2016-03-22%2Bat%2B8.24.1
Here's the excursion and my hornresp model. The woofer is a B&C 12PS100.

29082009480.jpg

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-03-22%2Bat%2B8.38.3

Here's the output with 700 watts into 8 ohms. That's 2,800 watts into 2ohms, so this probably isn't the best sub box for a car, unless you have an amp that's designed for 8ohm loads, or you can find a different woofer for this. (A couple of Alpine Type Rs would probably work here.)

This is an inexpensive build - you can get the woofer for $209 here : http://www.parts-express.com/bc-12ps100-12-woofer--294-665

Those TH-Minis are pretty awesome, I need to play with that design some time. The thing about it that's going to turn people off to it around here is the 50 Hz tuning. Most folks are going to want good output down to at least 40 hz, with 30 hz being much preferred. Still a VERY interesting design none the less.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

dope, subbed

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

33aba54b_vbattach85756.jpeg
I was excited to see what the Growler could do. From the reviews at avsforum, it's a heck of a sub. And in a head to head shootout with the Danley TH-Mini, it did quite well.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a driver in the world that will work in this alignment, unless I'm missing something.

IMG-20101106-00009.jpg
First pic above is the JTR Growler; second pic is the Danley TH-Mini. They're VERY similar, but the JTR is about twice as big, and it's woofer has three times as much displacement. So the JTR should really kick ass. Unfortunately, I really don't see a way to DIY this. You'd need to find a woofer with an FS of around 40-50hz, with more than 20mm displacement. I'm not aware of a woofer like that.

(JTR has their woofers made for them.)

I tried making something similar using an Alpine SWR-12D2, but the FS and the VAS on the Alpine is too low.

Basically the Growler is twice as big as the TH-Mini, which should make it about 3dB more efficient. But it *also* has a woofer with three times as much xmax. Put those two together, and the Growler *should* be able to get quite a bit louder than the TH-Mini, unless the voice coil explodes.

Archived