Second Skin Audio

Building my first box, need help with design.

NoName

Time has come to change my sealed OEM spec. box and change it with a ported one.

Subwoofer: JL Audio 10w3v2-4
Amp: DLS D1000
Car type: Wagon

Current box:
tcwsQ7Q.png

Sub spec:
Ogwm8eB.png

Box I am aiming to build: (picture just for reference, I know this one is 12". I want one which would go trough the length of the trunk.)
TQiULeU.png
1.2 cubic feet
33hz (maybe lower??)
Something like this, too bad its not in my continent..
http://www.lifeafterbass.com/labsl1ftpomd10.html

I have never designed a box myself, I have the tools I have the boards and I have the skills. Just no design knowledge.

Trunk space I have is 35" (88cm) length, 15" (38cm) height and depth is not important.

Could someone help me draw, design this box? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

What orientation do you wish for the sub face and port to be in? If you what an enclosure similar to the in this explorer(my gut tells me its an 2002 or 2003 but this is getting off topic) is your length spec provided from wheel well to wheel well then or from seats to back gate? With an internal displacement of 1.2cu (not counting woffer/port displacement) you can pull off a box build like this (spanning the full 35 inches) with just enuf depth left to mount this driver with no troubles. And one final thing dose JL have a recommended/optimal ported enclosure, because that would be best for a new builder like your self.

Thanks for the reply.

Sub on the left side, port on the right side (opposite then the picture) car is not explorer, but Toyota avensis/caldina.

Measurements are like this:

0Hxe1hK.png

For the OEM spec box. I had a chance to listen to it. Didn't like it, its very small and tuned to 37hz. Read quite a few forum posts suggesting a bigger, lower tuned box. I think LAB slapbox would fit my need, but I can't buy it locally, so why not to build it.

Not 100% sure, but you might could email LAB and see if they would sell you a cut sheet for that box.

2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside
250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kit
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" component
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6x8
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

That's why I suggested emailing them about the cut sheet. (IF) they will send you one it will specify all of the dimensions, including the port length. Some other people may chime in, and offer their box design services for free. I'm not as skilled with box design software compared to some of the other members on here.

250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

In the case that they aren't willing to provide it, box design is simple. Download sketchup, and have a go at it. There are only 2 things you need to know to really build a good box.

1, the higher the panel resonance the better. Bracing increases resonance.
2, air flows like water.

Those two fundementals are all you really need to get started. The only way to get good at is trial and error. Download some programs like hornresp, bassbox, and winisd. Play around with them, hop on the googler, and just learn as much as you can. All of us started with nothing, and trust me, when it comes to box design the dunning kruger effect is in full play.

Those who claim to be experts actually know very little. They know so little in fact, that they don't realize how little they know. There are very few set rules when it comes to box design. You need to learn for yourself how each aspect affects end result. Start reading, never over estimate your abilities.

screenshot_799.png

Don't trust a shop but you personally just smoked two decks, makes sense.

03' Trailblazer LT
Dayton Designer 6.5"s & Silkie tweeters
Dayton Audio Ultimax 18"
Pioneer 9601 & 8604
XS Power D3400
2 runs 1/0
Singer 250

Also you can download WinISD, input the dimensions of that slap box and then play around with the port size to get the tuning that you want.

250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter