Second Skin Audio

Help/Ideas for a Band pass Box

PhatBoy510

So I finally got around to posting in here :good:

Anyways i have a 97 BMW M3 and was planning on building a band pass box for it that ports through the arm rest area.

The subs i wanted to use are the CT sounds Meso 8's and power them with a AT1400.1

I'm not totally decided on how many subs yet but i don't really care how much trunk space i take up

I took some quick measurements and the biggest box i can fit that is assembled outside of the car would be 15 high x 30 wide x 30 deep maybe a bit

bigger if i take some of the trims off

now the specs on the subs say

Sealed: 0.3 ft^3

Ported: 0.5-0.75 ft^3

So i was wondering what someone that's more experienced with band pass boxes has to say i was thinking of putting anywhere from 4-8 subs just want some feedback :D

With as much space as you have there really is no reason to use 8" subs. I'm not trying to hate on your idea, but 8" subs really give up a lot due to their size. You can only fit so big of a voice coil and spider in an 8" sub and that's going to limit the performance, once you go up to 10" (or bigger) things just get a whole lot better.

Ok, now with that out of the way, I assume you want to use a bandpass box because your car has a firewalled trunk, is that correct? How big is the ski hole in your arm rest?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

The hole is 9 Wide x 12 High

My reason for thinking about the 8's was to use the cone area of the subs to mimic the 15's since the cone area of 4 Meso 8's would be the same as 1 Meso 15

i also have a few 8's laying around so that's another reason for thinking of going with those subs

is there a different sub that you would go with from CT sounds i looked at their Exo line and thought the lower Fs would help the low end if i threw those in a band pass box

Why can't we paste text from another website?

2000 Toyota Solara SEV6, 200 amp alternator, Jensen VX7020, Hifonics American Warrior Taurus X, Hifonics American Warrior Centurion X, JBL Club 6500C, Power Acoustik XP2K-4102, Coustic Power Logic HT-612 in a BP4.

With as much space as you have there really is no reason to use 8" subs. I'm not trying to hate on your idea, but 8" subs really give up a lot due to their size. You can only fit so big of a voice coil and spider in an 8" sub and that's going to limit the performance, once you go up to 10" (or bigger) things just get a whole lot better.

Ok, now with that out of the way, I assume you want to use a bandpass box because your car has a firewalled trunk, is that correct? How big is the ski hole in your arm rest?

I agree.

If you look at the leaderboard over at data-bass, the entire thing is dominated by giant woofers. Mostly eighteens with the occasional 21 or 24. This is also why 18" woofers are basically the pro-sound standard.

And one of the cool things about band-pass boxes is that you can basically get any response shape you want, within reason. If you know what you're doing, FS doesn't matter much, qts doesn't matter much, all that really matters is power handling and displacements, and that's why you want to GO BIG.

Obviously, I'm putting my money where my mouth is and I just replaced my 12" bandpass with a 15" tapped horn.

I would like a 15 but i want to be able to take the box out so i would be limited to 8's 10's and 12's

Im looking at some 12's now but i'm curious as to what i could do with a bunch of 8's I've seen a guy with 8 SA-8 but somethings off since he only does 142~ on the meter

Archived