Second Skin Audio

Box/Port Help

Fredward

Hey Guys, Just recently got back into car audio after 2 years off. Decided to make a box to put in my daily driver. Car is a 1996 Buick Century. I already have a 200 amp alt installed and I'm in the process of fitting one of my Kinetik HC1400 under the hood. Big 3 done with Rockford 0 gauge going to the trunk. Sub is Fi Bl fully loaded 15" and amp is Sundown Audio SCV-1500D. Did a quick measurement on the trunk the other day and came up with roughly 35" wide by 16" tall. I just need to figure out how deep to make the box. All of the boxes I have ever built have been with a slot port. Was thinking of trying an aero port for this build. I've never used one before but would like to give it a shot. Saw on Ebay they have 6" and 8" flared aero ports. It says they can make them in any length needed.

So my questions for you guys are: Do you think I should go with 1 - 8" flared aero port? Will that be enough port area? Did a quick calculation and it looks like if I made the box 3.5 Cu Ft after all displacement that an 8" flared aero port would have to be around 23.5" long for 36hz. Is this correct?

Is it better to go with 1 - 8" flared aero port vs 2 - 6". Any and all help it appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Either a single 8" port or a pair of 6" ports should work well for what you want to do.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Yes, that would be accurate for tuning you to 36 hz, that number doesn't account for the flare on the ends of the port though. You should add half the radius of the flare to both ends of the port. So if 23.5" is your target length and each end has a 2" radius flare, your total length would need to be 23.5" + 1" + 1" = 25.5"

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived