Second Skin Audio

SoundQubed HDS312 vs HDC310

aBav20

I might be able to fit two 12s in my trunk. But then I would have to get a powerful enough amp for them and that's just more money that I don't have at the moment. That's why I am thinking of a good single sub setup to run.

I would go with the SQ1200 if youre going with the HDS, and the 2200 for the HDC if you have good electrical. If not, the 1200 will play well on the HDC as well. Look it up on youtube there are plenty of setups being ran off the 1200.

But What Do I Know?

2003 Chevy Monte Carlo SS 3.8

• JVC KD-R975BTS
  • Clarion EQS746
  • Kenwood P907PS
  • Ascendant Audio 12" Havoc v.1
  • Ampere Audio 2000.1
  • MB Quart Onyx 800.4
  • XS Power D3400 - Hood
  • XS Power D975 - Trunk
  • Singer 240A
  • Sky High OFC 0 & 4 gauge
  • Kno Knoise Kolossus Deadener

On the same or very similar power the HDS312 is going to get louder than the HDC310. Eventually if you put enough power to the HDC310 it will catch up to the HDS312, but it's going to take quite a bit of power to do it.

Run as much cone area as you properly have space for. If you can fit the 12" that's what you should do.

Your response is misleading... "louder" depends on many factors above power. enclosure type, electrical, power, and impedance. Hell, even an HDS212 can sound "louder" to the ear in a proper setup. The bass response alone is different between the 2 subs and you can hear it. the throw on a hdc is night and day from an hds, imo. With a proper box, trial and error, that 10 will wash that hds12.

But What Do I Know?

• JVC KD-R975BTS
  • Clarion EQS746
  • Kenwood P907PS
  • Ampere Audio 2000.1
  • MB Quart Onyx 800.4
  • XS Power D3400 - Hood
  • XS Power D975 - Trunk
  • Singer 240A

I have a DC Power HO alternator on the way and I will be getting a new AGM battery in the near future. So my electrical should handle whatever I throw at it. If there is a cheap but quality amp I can get to power an HDC3 I will definitely consider going the HDC3 route.

There are plenty of amps that can push that sub. Your budget is most important. For daily music, some nice bump in your trunk go with the sq1200. That will not be stanious on your electrical and with a HO Alt and battery you'll be able to crank that thing all day with little to no voltage drop. 1200 watts will get plenty loud in a daily setup. if you want a little more juice, get a crescendo audio S1500.1

But What Do I Know?

• JVC KD-R975BTS
  • Clarion EQS746
  • Kenwood P907PS
  • Ampere Audio 2000.1
  • MB Quart Onyx 800.4
  • XS Power D3400 - Hood
  • XS Power D975 - Trunk
  • Singer 240A

Your response is misleading... "louder" depends on many factors above power. enclosure type, electrical, power, and impedance. Hell, even an HDS212 can sound "louder" to the ear in a proper setup. The bass response alone is different between the 2 subs and you can hear it. the throw on a hdc is night and day from an hds, imo. With a proper box, trial and error, that 10 will wash that hds12.

My response may have been simplistic, but I'd hardly say it was misleading.

You are completely correct that the HDS312 and HDC310 are going to sound very different. The HDC310 has a very stiff suspension and much higher ratio of motor force to cone area, its going to have pretty peaky frequency response compared to the HDS312. However, as far as "louder" goes, that's a pretty easy thing to define and measure. On the same power, like I said, the only way that HDC310 is going to be louder than the HDS312 is if the HDS312 is in a grossly undersized box and even then the HDC310 is only going to beat it over a very limited frequency range.

Back to what I originally said, if the OP has enough space to run a 12" vs a 10", the 12" is going to give better performance. Whether they should go with the HDS312 or the HDC312 depends on what their budget and goals for the system are.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived