300blk Posted April 12, 2016 Report Posted April 12, 2016 I realize how many times this has probably been asked, but I can't find any concrete answers and the only box calc I can get to work is from RE, provided I have a Mac. It is an SA12 Rev 3 rated 750 rms. I am looking for 1.9 to 2 cubic feet before sub displacement tuned to 32ish hz. I currently have the sub in 2.25 cubic feet before sub displacement, so 2.11 after sub tuned to 35 hz. It sounds good on about 850 rms, but I am thinking I should go a bit smaller since I am over powering the sub. It is currently wired to 2 ohms on an Alpine mrx-m110. It is going in the back hatch of my jeep, so I am not limited on dimensions by any means. If anyone could help me design a box I'd really appreciate it. I even have paypal I wouldn't mind paying a bit for a good design. I cannot do anything extremely complicated as I am limited to skil saw and jig saws. Thanks in advance! If I can get a design together today I will be building it tonight!
Triticum Agricolam Posted April 12, 2016 Report Posted April 12, 2016 You aren't over powering that sub enough to be concerned about at all. Though if you want to build a new box anyway post the max dimensions of your space. Nice name BTW :-) "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
300blk Posted April 12, 2016 Author Report Posted April 12, 2016 Its in the back hatch of my jeep, so there are no limiting factors as far as size goes. I recently got a slight popping from my sa12, and I thought it was from the box, but I now think i was clipping, in that my alternator fried haha. This was about a month ago. my Mechman 240 amp is arriving today and my xs power d4800 will be here tomorrow. hehe. If you think 2.11 cubic feet after displacement is Ok, then I will run with it. It sounds great on about 850 rms. The box is solid birch with a 1.5" thick baffle, all 45's etc.. I am curious what the sub would do on 1100 from the mx-m110 in a smaller box though. I was thinking something like 27-30" width, 14" high, 16" ish deep. A recone is in my future.. the pop is not audible over music unless you open the hatch and are close to the sub. When money allows I do intend on upping to an aq2200 or something of the like, and an x12.. considering I am upping to the 240 amp alt and xs battery.
300blk Posted April 12, 2016 Author Report Posted April 12, 2016 Just something I threw together on RE Calc.. seems like too much port area.
Triticum Agricolam Posted April 12, 2016 Report Posted April 12, 2016 Just something I threw together on RE Calc.. seems like too much port area. There really is no such thing as too much port area. Here are a couple more things to think about. If you are going to be upgrading to a larger amp and higher power handling sub down the road, you might as well build this box to handle your new equipment when you get it. Your SA-12 will be fine in a box intended for an X-12. If you are currently running 850 watts, you will never hear the difference going up to 1100 watts. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
300blk Posted April 12, 2016 Author Report Posted April 12, 2016 So you think I should just keep running it in the box I have? 2.11 after all displacement? Damn thing seems huge lol.
Triticum Agricolam Posted April 12, 2016 Report Posted April 12, 2016 What's the port area on your current box? "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
300blk Posted April 12, 2016 Author Report Posted April 12, 2016 honestly have no idea. It was a custom box I had built. I was too busy working when I got my sub, so i decided to have one built in that money was easier to come by than time. I just know its 2.11 after all displacement tuned to 35 hz. Its very nice solid birch box.
300blk Posted April 12, 2016 Author Report Posted April 12, 2016 You think the port area is too small? I know it has two boards inside .. so it has to be decently long. I guess I could pull my sub and measure, etc. Was thinking about pulling it anyways to make sure the wiring is ok, etc. I am just wondering if I am accidentally running it at more than 850 rms. I had the gain on the Alpine MRX-M110 at about 3/4 or less. It is about 1100 rms at 2 ohms. I use an alpine deck with the subwoofer control from 1-15. I would generally put this on about 10. What gain should i run my amp and headunit at do you think?
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.