Tankgawd Posted April 17, 2016 Report Posted April 17, 2016 I was just wondering if a slot ported 5 cube box would be worth a try over my current box which was matched perfectly to the sundown req box which is a 4.25 cu with 2 4inch aero ports oh ya lol its a single zv.4 r2 15 with 3k on the power side. What got me wondering is I inverted the sub which only freed up .22 of airspace but really woke the sub up. thanks
Triticum Agricolam Posted April 17, 2016 Report Posted April 17, 2016 Two 4" aero ports sure isn't Sundown's recommendation for a Z.v4-15. You are WAY undersized on your port area and that's probably eating a lot of your output. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Tankgawd Posted April 17, 2016 Author Report Posted April 17, 2016 So then a proper sized slot port would sound better how about the 5 cube box is that to much or will work fine? I have yet to build the new box any knowledge would be a big help all I can find anywhere is 4.25 30hz if that trult is the best setup I will go that route. thanks
Triticum Agricolam Posted April 18, 2016 Report Posted April 18, 2016 I think a proper sized port will make a huge difference. Whether it's a slot, aero, octo, or any other kind of port is much less important than it being the right size for the job. The thing to keep in mind is what's "best" depends greatly on the situation and what you are trying to do. A 5 cu ft box is going to perform differently than a 4.25 cu ft, which one is better depends on your goals. The larger box will have a little more output around tuning, this could make it more peaky, if all you care about is getting as loud as possible the bigger box might be right for you. The smaller box will have slightly smoother frequency response and slightly better sound quality. In either case the performance difference between a 4.25 cu ft box and 5 cu ft box is going to be pretty small. It would probably show up on the meter, but I doubt you would ever hear the difference with your ears. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Tankgawd Posted April 18, 2016 Author Report Posted April 18, 2016 thanks for the info. looking at your builds lol your pretty badass so if you dont mind answering one more question what kind of box would you recommend for the max spl its going in the back of a blazer so room really isnt an issue.
Triticum Agricolam Posted April 18, 2016 Report Posted April 18, 2016 Thanks! I'm glad you like my work. If you want to get as loud as possible I think your idea of increasing box size to 5 cubes is a good idea. I would use a lot of port area, just how much depends on where you want to tune to. How low do you want to be able to hit? The higher you tune, the louder you will get, but you will give up low frequency performance and you will have to set your subsonic filter well. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Tankgawd Posted April 18, 2016 Author Report Posted April 18, 2016 I'm not to worried about moving air at this point so I would say 35-40 hz seems like a good start. I have 2 more zv4s I will eventually add but I still need the back seat so at this point there closet decoration.
Triticum Agricolam Posted April 18, 2016 Report Posted April 18, 2016 If you aren't worried about playing below 35 hz, I'd tune to about 38 and set your subsonic filter to 28 Hz. I'd build your box with 100 sq in of port area. It sounds like a lot of port, but with a larger box and higher tune you need it. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Tankgawd Posted April 18, 2016 Author Report Posted April 18, 2016 Thanks alot for the knowledge as soon as I figure out how to use box software I'm definitely going to use those numbers .
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.