Second Skin Audio

2002 dodge ram quad cab subs?.. 2 JL TW1, TW3, or Alpine SWR-T12

Is there any good audio shops near you that could build you an enclosure? Its way better to have an enclosure designed and built for the subs you get and that fits your needs. . Where in Indiana are you?

Your right in most cases. However if he wants them under his back seat going with the fox box or,even the net audio would not be sacrificing for a less than quality enclosure.

The fox box,is made out of 3/4" mdf and it's pretty stout. For the price it's a good deal for decent quality. In other words it's not your typical a trend box. It's fairly well made.

Of course it's not 3/4" or 1" birch with a double baffle but it will do for the application considering he wants to keep his back seats. On the other hand he could build a bigger stronger box and just shove it in the back seat and strap it down. Just remove it when you want your seats but that doesn't sound too practical to me.

Terre Haute, IN... i just went to the sub shop a couple weeks ago, there a joke really. Ztech is there name. dood was an idiot that i was talking to, and all the installers were assholes and acted like they didnt want to help, like they were being bothered. funny thing was is the owner was there too. i dont think i'll be going back there. dood couldnt tell me the difference between the type-rs and the type-s... which are the biggest brand they push besides JL.... they have kicker and all that too .. i had to go in the audio room and figure out the sound difference between the 2 myself by going back and forth... he was like I can't tell a difference... I was like really IMO it sounds like the Type-r's are hitting lower than the type-s's.. he listened a few more times and was like yea I can hear it now.... the installer said this sub wont fit and that sub wont fit cuz the magnets have to have room to breath and then he went and answered phone when he was suppose to go out to my truck and check out my box, instead he told the new idiot guy to go out and check it out... lets just say I left 5 minutes after that... I dont want them touching my truck...

I would get the fox box for too twelves. Get the sa-12's because the recommended air space for them is 1.5-2 ported. So they should come out almost right. I'm pretty sure the motor on the ten and twelve sa subs is the same but you should get lower bass out of the twelves.

I will let you know Wednesday what it sounds like. Got some coming. I'm only going to have about 650 on my subs.

You can get the 12" sa subs at a couple of places right now. Most are the rev 3's cause they have been out for a little while now.

Down4soundshop.com has the dual 2 ohm voice coils which is what you'd need to run two subs at 2 ohm or 4 ohm. There $209 shipped each.

You can also get b stock subs at caraudiobargain.com for $175 shipped. They are new subs just may have a blemish on the paint or something.

Why would you think you would get lower bass with 12s?

Clarion cz702

Ssa evil mids and tweeters

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

155.7 on dash at 36 (peak) 152 at 25

Terre Haute, IN... i just went to the sub shop a couple weeks ago, there a joke really. Ztech is there name. dood was an idiot that i was talking to, and all the installers were assholes and acted like they didnt want to help, like they were being bothered. funny thing was is the owner was there too. i dont think i'll be going back there. dood couldnt tell me the difference between the type-rs and the type-s... which are the biggest brand they push besides JL.... they have kicker and all that too .. i had to go in the audio room and figure out the sound difference between the 2 myself by going back and forth... he was like I can't tell a difference... I was like really IMO it sounds like the Type-r's are hitting lower than the type-s's.. he listened a few more times and was like yea I can hear it now.... the installer said this sub wont fit and that sub wont fit cuz the magnets have to have room to breath and then he went and answered phone when he was suppose to go out to my truck and check out my box, instead he told the new idiot guy to go out and check it out... lets just say I left 5 minutes after that... I dont want them touching my truck...

Yea it sucks most audio shops dont know what there talking about. Probably like 90 percent of them

Clarion cz702

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

I would get the fox box for too twelves. Get the sa-12's because the recommended air space for them is 1.5-2 ported. So they should come out almost right. I'm pretty sure the motor on the ten and twelve sa subs is the same but you should get lower bass out of the twelves.

I will let you know Wednesday what it sounds like. Got some coming. I'm only going to have about 650 on my subs.

You can get the 12" sa subs at a couple of places right now. Most are the rev 3's cause they have been out for a little while now.

Down4soundshop.com has the dual 2 ohm voice coils which is what you'd need to run two subs at 2 ohm or 4 ohm. There $209 shipped each.

You can also get b stock subs at caraudiobargain.com for $175 shipped. They are new subs just may have a blemish on the paint or something.

Is there any good audio shops near you that could build you an enclosure? Its way better to have an enclosure designed and built for the subs you get and that fits your needs. . Where in Indiana are you?

Your right in most cases. However if he wants them under his back seat going with the fox box or,even the net audio would not be sacrificing for a less than quality enclosure.

The fox box,is made out of 3/4" mdf and it's pretty stout. For the price it's a good deal for decent quality. In other words it's not your typical a trend box. It's fairly well made.

Of course it's not 3/4" or 1" birch with a double baffle but it will do for the application considering he wants to keep his back seats. On the other hand he could build a bigger stronger box and just shove it in the back seat and strap it down. Just remove it when you want your seats but that doesn't sound too practical to me.

The Rev3 SA-12's say they need atleast 2.0 ported box. 750watts a piece. I called woofersetc.com because they are the only ones that specify they have the Rev3 SA-12's but they are pre-order. i called to ask about that and they said sundown is actually backordered.. but then got transfered to a knowledgeable technician and he was very helpful. i actually looked up the fox box and the net audio box with me on the phone. and he said to go with the fox box hands down over the net audio because of the air space alone. But he said a 10's would be better for our truck cuz the sa-12's require 2.0 airspace and the fox box is only 1.5, and the 10s are made for 1.5.. but he didnt look at the 10 fox box i did after we got off phone and it says its only 1.22 cu ft.. weird i would think it would be more... he said either one would be a good choice... he also said to go with the sundowns over the w3 for the money if i got the power to push the sundowns... he thinks i should get rid of my jl jx1000 and get a mono amp that will do 1ohm and get the 4 ohm speakers so they can be paralled into 1ohm... he said the sundown amps are very good recommended the 2000 watt version but said there are alot of good amps though, its just the i bought JL's bottom of the line amp... So I dont know what the hell to do... I can get the sundowns but he's made me think that I would HAVE TO UPGRADE my amp...

I did tell him about you getting the same setup with the 12 SA's he was like well you could wait until he gets his installed and then he can tell you what he thinks or you could listen to them yourself.. well dont think i can hear them for myself but i can hear your feedback on it... i did look at the specs of the v3 SA 12 and it does say 2.0 cu ft...

anyway i was on the phone with this guy for 30 minutes and he was ultra nice.. really cool guy and great customer service.. thumbs up for woofersetc.com ..... OOOOOOOOO i remember what i was goin to bring up to you... I did read a few reviews on the fox box and there were a few guys that said they had the SA-12's but had to go to a 1inch or 1 1/4 spacer that the 3/4 or 5/8's was too short that the excursion from the woofers would hit the seat... i don't even know where you would buy spacers or make them... Seems like if i go with the SA-12's I'd have to do a complete rebuild... I"d have to re-run my power and everything... I only have 4 ga power wire running to my distribution block right now... so im sure I'd have to upgrade to 1/0 power wire and probably would have to do the big 3 upgrade with 1/0 too.. i dunno if i could get away with 4 ga there.. alot of work I'd have to redo that i just did a couple months ago...

Why would you think you would get lower bass with 12s?

I've been told thats why I should go with 12's over 10's if i can because 12's will hit lower bass better than 10's.. I myself prefer low low bass not the real punchy type bass, i mean i like that too, but i really like to hear the lows... seems that most songs i listen too always have low bass tones..

Size of the sub does not determine what frequencies are hit. Its the enclosure. . . . ALOT of people think the bigger the sub the lower it hits but its not true at all

Clarion cz702

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

You can have 8s hit lower than 18s if thats how the enclosures are tuned

Clarion cz702

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

You could always get the 12 enclosure and make a ring for the baffle to fit 10s so the size it better for the subs

Clarion cz702

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

I've seen different listings for the enclosure ported air space. I'm pretty sure on sundown audio's website under the specs for the sub it says ported is 1.5-2. Also woofers etc isn't the only sundown dealer. Check out the two I told you. Go to sundown's site so you can see for yourself what the specs of the sub are. I'm pretty sure they know best since they are the manufacturer. Or least are who has the subs manufactured.

Also you can go lower then recommended ft3 space. Not by much but with more power and polyfil you can compensate some for lack of air space.

For our application with wanting to keep our back seat functional and still get maximum output this is the way to go. I'm. It putting off using 10's either. If that is what you want but I think the 12's will work and you'll get more output. These subs can handle up to and above 1000 watts but for daily playing and good sound 500-600 watts will do fine.

That jl amp will do fine for now. If you want more later get a bigger amp then. Don't over think this. I've already done that. Spent many hours on it.

If your set on a new amp look at the sae or scv sundown amps or,crescendo symphony 1500 series and get dual 4 ohm sa-12 subs. This will allow you to run the subs 2 ohm a peach and the amp at 1 ohm mono. The crescendo amp puts out around 1800 watts at 1 ohm.

Archived