Second Skin Audio

2002 dodge ram quad cab subs?.. 2 JL TW1, TW3, or Alpine SWR-T12

I've seen different listings for the enclosure ported air space. I'm pretty sure on sundown audio's website under the specs for the sub it says ported is 1.5-2. Also woofers etc isn't the only sundown dealer. Check out the two I told you. Go to sundown's site so you can see for yourself what the specs of the sub are. I'm pretty sure they know best since they are the manufacturer. Or least are who has the subs manufactured.

Also you can go lower then recommended ft3 space. Not by much but with more power and polyfil you can compensate some for lack of air space.

For our application with wanting to keep our back seat functional and still get maximum output this is the way to go. I'm. It putting off using 10's either. If that is what you want but I think the 12's will work and you'll get more output. These subs can handle up to and above 1000 watts but for daily playing and good sound 500-600 watts will do fine.

That jl amp will do fine for now. If you want more later get a bigger amp then. Don't over think this. I've already done that. Spent many hours on it.

If your set on a new amp look at the sae or scv sundown amps or,crescendo symphony 1500 series and get dual 4 ohm sa-12 subs. This will allow you to run the subs 2 ohm a peach and the amp at 1 ohm mono. The crescendo amp puts out around 1800 watts at 1 ohm.

Both the 10 inch and 12 inch fox box enclosures are tuned to 35 hrtz.

What would be the difference there? Why would you ever want to go with bigger subs if they aren't louder than the smaller ones? I'm just wondering.

You will get more output having 2 12s than 2 10s because of cone area but thats not saying bigger subs hit certain notes better. . Im saying the size of the subs does not say what notes they will hit better.

And why I was saying to use 10s is because the airspace in the 12 enclosure is better suited for 10s than 12s

Clarion cz702

Ssa evil mids and tweeters

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

155.7 on dash at 36 (peak) 152 at 25

....Not by much but with more power and polyfil you can compensate some for lack of air space.....

Polyfil is for sealed boxes, putting polyfil in a ported box is not going to do what you want it to do.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I've seen polyfil used in a lot of ported boxes. It may not work,as efficiently as it does in sealed but it will still give some more air space even if it's a minimum compared to sealed.

It still will disrupt the air making the box react as it has more air space just not as effectively as a sealed box because of the port being an escape valve so to speak and air flow will follow the path of least resistance. Air pressure still expands in the box before exiting the port. Allowing the pressure to pass through and be disrupted by the polyfil similar to a sealed enclosure.

In the end it may not do as much as I'm hoping but being as close as I am to the air space I need some is better than none.

Well I did want to add I got one of my sundown sa-12's in and mounted it in my box since each side of the enclosure is separated from the other. I couldn't believe the amount of bass I gained on one sub over the kicker CompR subs. Sure I know everyone is going to say kicker is shit compared to sundown. No doubt it's not as good but I didn't think only one sub would make that much difference. Can't wait to get the other one in.

I've seen polyfil used in a lot of ported boxes. It may not work,as efficiently as it does in sealed but it will still give some more air space even if it's a minimum compared to sealed.

It still will disrupt the air making the box react as it has more air space just not as effectively as a sealed box because of the port being an escape valve so to speak and air flow will follow the path of least resistance. Air pressure still expands in the box before exiting the port. Allowing the pressure to pass through and be disrupted by the polyfil similar to a sealed enclosure.

In the end it may not do as much as I'm hoping but being as close as I am to the air space I need some is better than none.

Well I did want to add I got one of my sundown sa-12's in and mounted it in my box since each side of the enclosure is separated from the other. I couldn't believe the amount of bass I gained on one sub over the kicker CompR subs. Sure I know everyone is going to say kicker is shit compared to sundown. No doubt it's not as good but I didn't think only one sub would make that much difference. Can't wait to get the other one in.

do you glue the polyfil to the box or just stuff it in there and let it bounce around? Just to let you know I DID ORDER the fox box. It should be here tomorrow. 3days shipping with the order included in that.. nice..

anyhow i'm not sure what i want.. i definately dont want to put adhesive and all that all over my truck because of the flexing.. Not sure whether to get the JL w3 or an alpine type-r..

seen some videos of peoples shit flexing and was like whoa im not sure i want my vehicle doing all that , lol... even the jl w3's and the type-r's made peoples car flex... i want the sundowns i just don't want to tear things up.. dont matter how new your car is.. the sundowns are the same price.. but will require me to sell this jx1000 and get atleast a 1500watter. and i need small profile... here is the one i want... http://store.crescendoaudio.com/symphony-s1500-1/ .. but its out of stock everywhere.. i called them today and saying there out about another 1 1/2 to 2 months... thats the 1 -ohm version... he said he has a 2 ohm version instock http://store.crescendoaudio.com/symphony-s1500-1f-midrange-monoblock/ ... i like that they have 1/0 inputs and the size of them... the only thing i see with the 2 ohm version is that its response freq and a couple other numbers are different...

....It may not work,as efficiently as it does in sealed but it will still give some more air space even if it's a minimum compared to sealed....

No, no it won't. I've tested it and measured the difference myself. When you stuff a ported box it decreases its efficiency. It does the exact opposite of what you want and makes the box perform like its smaller than it really is.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived