Second Skin Audio

Planning To "wall" The Pt...

ptcary

Ok, so I've been here a short while and have been enjoying everything I read and see. I currently have 4 12" Hifonics subs in a sealed 5 ft box in the hatch.

I am thinking of pulling my removable back seats and going with a wall.

My motivation (like everyone else) is Steve's work on the Escalade with the 8 18"s! I really like the look of that enclosure design!!!

This is not my first wall, but first in this car, and I will use every new idea I have learned here including resin, bracing, and bedliner spray!

I want to know what everyone thinks would be the best design for my goal of loud daily driver, no competing, though I will have it measured by a shop just for the learning experience of it all.

I can go with:

#1- 8 12"s sealed, set up to look like Chicken's Escalade (with the 8 18's) with subs facing eachother.

#2- 4 12"s ported same design facing eachother, ports forward.

#3- 6 12"s facing forward and port facing forward either above or below the subs, kinda like Steves Civic.

I really like the look of #1 or #2, but #3 would be easier to build. I have plenty of airspace for either design, just need some help deciding what I will be happy with most for the long haul.

Ported will be tuned for 39 hz using hifonics specs, could do 33 hz tune with the 4 or 6 sub setups, but airspace would be close.

PLEASE keep in mind that this will not be a competition setup, and I will only have about 1200 watts RMS to power all the subs, about 450 for the rest; Hifonics amps.

No 15"s or 18"s as I already have 4 brand new 12"s and can get more for dirt cheap! These are the regular Hifonics 12"s so a lot of power is not needed. Its a daily driver for me, so music is priority.

What does everyone recommend?? I want a wall! :D:lol::D

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

No opinions??? <_<

OK, 8 12"s it is! I know the 6 ported would be better for SPL, but I really want the chambered look, and spend most of my time listening to music anyway, so the highest SPL is not important. I can always add some more power to them. I found a shop to spray it with grey bedliner coating. Should be able to get it all in 3 sheets of 3/4 MDF, and will use double layer baffles. Still have to do the math, but I think I can go ported with a 40 hz tune, I've seen a few wall pics here that have given me som ideas on how to get a little more airspace for each side, but the only way to get down to 34 hz is to go to 2.5 cu ft per sub, and I don't think that I have that much airspace available. 40 hz is 1.75 cu ft per sub with a 3" x 5" aeroport per sub, I'll convert to slot.

Steve, this is all your fault! I found this site just days after building my sealed box, and now I want more! Friggin 33K watt Escalade! :wub:

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

Archived