Sundown Audio

RF P1000x1bd

aBav20

After heavy research I decided to go ahead and purchase some equipment. I bought a DD 715 and a RF P1000x1bd to push it. I also had a custom box built for the sub. It sounds good and clean but the sub doesn't put out like I know it can. I used the C.L.E.A.N setup as well. I'm starting to doubt my decision to go with the RF amp. Any comments/suggestions?

I'm glad you asked because I left out a major detail. I have a d4 sub running at 2 ohms. (I was sold the wrong impedance by mistake) I'm switching to a D2 sometime this week and I'm hoping for better preformance. The sub will obviously preform better once I push more power to it at 1 ohm, but the question is how much of a difference in performance should I expect? Night and day? I'm very anxious about this because I'm afraid I won't be satisfied with the output. I set my gains using the C.L.E.A.N setup built into the amp.

Well that amp is rated at 500 4ohm 1000 2ohm but your birthsheet prolly said something like 875 and 1450. Either way it's a 500 watts difference give or take, should add some umph. I couldn't find the spl rating of that sub but the change should add 2-3db I'd guess.

Other factors are what types of tones you're using for setup. I've never used the clean system but I know using a DMM or DD1 you will get varied output based on the test tone level and the type of music you're listening to. If you set peak output at 0 db, most songs will not hit their full potential. -5db range for newer stuff and decaf, -10db range for older music.

Well think of it this way. A music track is mixed to give a peak output no higher than 0 db. Individual sounds can't all be mixed at 0 db or the final mix will be total clipping. If you set your amp at peak output at 0 db, you'll only get peak output on bass that's hitting at 0 db. -5 db you'll peak at bass mixed at -5 db. -10 etc etc. But say you set for -10 and listen to tracksome that are -5 or less, you'll be exceeding output.

I think on the clean setup cd they have tracks labeled at 0db and then 5db gain overlap and 10db gain overlap. I'm not 100% on if that equates to -5 and -10db.

Archived