Second Skin Audio

Saggy coil?

yo Smd got a question bout saggy coils

I have a quite old 12 inch powered woofer and the coil is so saggy with my pinky I can push it all the way down and when I play it it flexes like a baby sundown lol, it's a 150w rms subwoofer and it's in a sealed enclosure , that did have a hole but I patched it well with mdf , now when I hook the speaker route to the back off the sub it sounds great but it lacks... Bass? I also have a Z5500 Logitech subwoofer and it's 188w rms and it's a 10" in a ported enclosure , shouldn't they be pumping around the same level of bass? With the 12 inch it plays bass but.. Lacks it. It doesn't play those in depth notes at all. What would the problem be (the amp is fine) the driver , or the enclosure ? What I'm planning to do for you guys who have replied to my previous posts is tear out the amp from the 12 inch (it's 4 ohm so no worries)and get a 12W0V3 JL sub that's 300 watts rms and in a JL audio ported box that's designed for the speaker ,

But however , if it's the saggy spider making he problem couldn't I just replace the driver in the 12 inch powered sub ? I just want to be a junioir bass head that's all :(

PS. That z5500 can get pre loud.

It doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with your sub, it just sounds like it has a loose suspension, which for sealed box usage is a good thing.

As far as how the output should compare to a ported 10". Ported boxes sound different than sealed, at some frequencies the ported box will probably be louder (like down low around is tuning frequency), but below and especially above that the larger sealed box will probably be louder.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

It doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with your sub, it just sounds like it has a loose suspension, which for sealed box usage is a good thing.

As far as how the output should compare to a ported 10". Ported boxes sound different than sealed, at some frequencies the ported box will probably be louder (like down low around is tuning frequency), but below and especially above that the larger sealed box will probably be louder.

thanks triticum

Archived