Second Skin Audio

Port area for 4 sundown x 12s?

RooTxBeeR

That calculator at carstereo.com doen't take into account how much power you are going to be running. I don't put a lot of faith into it because of that.

I got a chance to take a look at what kind of port velocity you should be getting. Ideally I like to keep port velocity below 22- 24 m/sec or so, however there comes a point where if you are putting so much power into a system it begins to make it difficult to get a large enough port to keep port velocity reasonable. You are close to that point. Even with 50 sq in of port area per sub the port velocity is still near 30 m/sec. 30 m/sec is really the upper limit IMHO.

Since space is really at a premium you are going to have to make a design compromise somewhere. I'd try to keep your port area up as much as you can, even if it means sacrificing a little net volume to do so. As a rough estimate, dropping from 200 to 160 sq in of port area will cost you at least 1 db of output, which is about what you would lose from going down from 10 cu ft net down to 8 cu ft. Again, those are just rough estimates. I can't say for certain what's going to work best, this is just some things to consider.

Thanks for the input, and in all honesty, 1db I would care less about. I am not competing, this is all for musical and sounding good. I would want to be more on the box size than anything to be able to have deep bass. I just put a design together, at the COMPLETE maximum I can fit with 10.05cuft net, 32.10hz tune, and 160sqin of port. I can probably only gain an additional .25 cuft or an extra 5 sqin of port area at these dimensions. I am going to look a little more into this. I have a friend who has a friend that is great buddies with lots of top sundown guys and see what they say on that design. I am really hoping it will work because I wanted 2 18's, no where near enough room. and 4 12's has 100sqin of cone area of 2 15's, so if I can fit these fuckers, it's happening.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm